Presidency: President Zuma not behind SARS suspensions
The Presidency has denied allegations that President Jacob Zuma is involved in the suspensions of two top ranking South African Revenue Service (SARS) officials.
Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Helen Zille alleged that President Zuma had instigated the suspensions in order "to protect himself and the ANC from paying taxes". The DA claims come after the suspensions of deputy commissioner, Ivan Pillay, and strategic planning and risk group executive, Peter Richer, earlier in December.
"The Presidency takes strong exception to the allegations made by Premier Helen Zille of the Western Cape linking the President to the suspension of some staff members in the South African Revenue Service," Presidential Spokesperson, Mac Maharaj, said in a statement.
"We have noted attempts in some newspapers as well to drag the President into the same matter.
"The President has nothing to do with any of the allegations levelled against the staff members of SARS and linking him to this matter is pure mischief."
In her final newsletter for 2014, Zille said that President Zuma did not want SARS to get too close to his personal tax affairs and those of his personal and business associates.
"If it is true [as I believe it is] that this conflict is the result of yet another attempt by Jacob Zuma to 'capture' a state institution in order to protect himself and the ANC from paying taxes, then it will be a watershed for South Africa’s democracy," she said.
SARS commissioner Tom Moyane announced the suspensions in the wake of news reports of a special projects unit being run by SARS and it allegedly conducting illegal activities.
Pillay appointed a panel to conduct an investigation into the allegations and also reportedly requested that that business interests of the Zuma family be made tax compliant.
He also allegedly sought legal advice on the tax implications of the upgrades to President Zuma's Nkandla residence and was told that the benefits from the upgrades could be taxed.
Pillay was reportedly hit with his suspension after he refused to let a consignment of ANC t-shirts, that had been made in China, be released without duty being paid on it.
Zille alleged that Pillay and Richter had been targeted for essentially doing their jobs.
Pillay and Richter are set to challenge their suspensions in the Labour Court on Wednesday.
After the devastation caused by a fire in Theesecombe and Kamma Heights on Tuesday, another fire broke out in the Circular Drive area of Lorraine, Port Elizabeth, on Wednesday morning, unsettling many residents, who had witnessed the Tuesday. At the time of publishing, the cause and overall damage...
Today at Montecasino, in the heart of Fourways...
At the beginning of 2016, DSG launched a bold new initiative...
Many businesses face a multitude of challenges in the...
Sunday sees the last round of the popular aQuellé Ocean...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Wednesday...
The Telkom Knockout final has come at the perfect time to...
Earlier this year, we reported that Ford had expanded...
The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) on Wednesday...
- Port Alfred police appeal for assistance in locating missing woman
- ‘Looks like Armageddon’: Massive veld fire leaves bush and home destroyed in Theesecombe/Kamma Heights
- The best value medical cover for employees with Medimed
- The Top 10 Restaurants in the Eastern Cape in 2016
- Jesse Clegg live at Bridge Street Brewery