Proceedings underway: Will Dewani walk free?
We will know if Shrien Dewani will walk free this morning as the Western Cape High Court decides whether the British businessman’s application to be discharged in the killing of his wife, Anni Hindocha, has been successful.
Both Shrien Dewani, his relatives and the Hindocha family have arrived at the Western Cape High Court where a massive media contingent has already gathered to report on proceedings.
Deputy Judge President Jeanette Traverso has gotten proceeding underway while Dewani sits in the dock.
Dewani stands accused of orchestrating Anni's murder during their honeymoon in Cape Town in November 2010.
Calls not to release Dewani
Last week, the Hindochas urged the Western Cape High Court to continue Dewani's trial so he could give his version of events.
"Don't let Shrien Dewani walk away without giving us, South Africa and people from all over the world the full story," Anni's brother, Anish Hindocha, told a news conference.
It would be a "terrible development" if Dewani was allowed to leave South Africa "without explaining himself what happened on the night when my sister got murdered", he said.
After months of consistently supporting the National prosecuting Authority (NPA), a social media-based organisation, Justice4Anni, last weekend, said that the "the prosecution's performance at the trial has been abysmal", and accused prosecutors Adrian Mopp and Shireen Riley of "shoddy work".
"When the facts are carefully looked at there is something very suspicious about the entire handling of the Dewani murder trial," the group said.
"The prosecutors have not properly highlighted the solid evidence in the prosecution file about Dewani's actions, the CCTV revelations, the phone call explanations. There has been no explanation of why SMS text message context has not been retrieved," it said.
Last week the organisation petitioned Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng and Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Michael Masutha, calling for Judge Jeanette Traverso's recusal from the trial based on claims that she has been biased in favour of Dewani.
Dewani's legal representative, Francois van Zyl SC, has argued that the evidence of his client's alleged co-conspirators has been "poor" and cannot be relied on.
Legal experts believe Dewani's lawyer has put up a strong case for his acquittal and that he will be home by Christmas.
Criminal law specialist William Booth told Timeslive that: "I feel that Dewani's defence has presented a very strong case to the court. Even if the judge refuses the application that is not going to improve the state's case. But if the evidence is of poor quality, why prolong the trial?"
Criminal lawyer Martin Hood shared this view.
"I think Dewani is going home this week," he said.
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
As the water crisis in Nelson Mandela Bay and the ...
A 25-year-old Port Elizabeth man is expected in court on...
Bridge Street Brewery have another mouth-watering event...
Southern Kings head coach Deon Davids made just one...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth