R557 million non-technical electricity losses over five years

SEPTEMBER 16, 2014

Nelson Mandela Bay suffered non-technical electricity losses amounting to R557 million between 2009/10 and 2013/14 financial years, the Budget and Treasury Committee was told this morning.

The figures provided by Director of Revenue Management Mbuzeli Nogqala show that the losses have increased from R47 million in 2009/10 to R169 million in the last financial year.

Non-technical losses are those, for example, that result from theft, tampering with meters and illegal connections.

A report to the committee showed that the municipality suffered technical and non-technical electricity losses of R33.9 million in July and the losses in units that were not charged for amounted to 44 642 or 15%.

In a presentation to the committee, Mthuthuzeli Ntlangani, Project Manager for AMAT, the company appointed to address the challenge of non-technical losses, told the committee that a total of 285 consumers had had their electricity supply disconnected since the start of the project on July 14 this year.

He said of the consumers who had been disconnected, 57 were in KwaNobuhle, 55 in Greenbushes and 40 in Zwide, adding that the initiative was “already starting to show results”.

A number of businesses were among those whose service had been disconnected.

Ntlangani said that 106 first offenders had paid fines to the tune of R212 000 while 13 second offenders had paid R32 500 and two third offenders R7 000.