RECAP: 31 August an interesting day in Nelson Mandela Metro
The end of Winter was an extremely eventful day in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday when temperatures suddenly shot up to discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape.
Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services' Eastern Cape Client Liaison Officer, on Friday compiled a comparison of the difference in temperatures between the Automatic Weather Station (AWS) at Shark Rock Pier and the Airport as well as other stations in the Bay.
To put things into perspective, below are the distances between the stations;
- Airport to Shark Rock 6 km
- Airport to Fettes Road 6 km
- Airport to Chatty 16 km
- Airport to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Coega 20km
- Shark Rock to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Airport 6 km
This is in a radius of around 15 km.
- Shark Rock has its “feet in the water”.
- Coega is one km from the bay.
- The Airport is about 6km from the bay.
- Fettes is one km from the bay.
- Chatty is 11 km from the bay
- Uitenhage is 25 km from the bay.
"I came across some interesting facts and figures in so far as the temperatures in the Metro in concerned," said Sampson.
The Maximum and Minimum temperature’s for the day, were as follows;
- Max Maximum 41.2° C Coega,
- Min Maximum 37.1° C Shark Rock,
- Max Minimum 17.9° C Fettes Road, and
- Min Minimum 12.2°C Airport.
"As the temperature rose at 12 am the temperature difference between Shark Rock and the Airport was more than 14°C," Sampson said.
As it dropped the difference peaked at just short of 22C difference between Shark Rock and Coega.
Some interesting graphs for the day.
Three men are expected in court on Monday after they were...
Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa says industry must partner...
Police in KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth, are investigating a case of business robbery, which occurred at about 16:30 on Friday. "It...
In association with Belgotex Sport – Greenfields SA, South Africa’s...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Friday advised...
The economic transformation discussion...
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) would...
The Master Builders Association (MBA) of Eastern Cape hosted...
Members of the Bloemfontein Flying Squad dealt a heavy...
Disgruntled Road Accident Fund (RAF) employees, who are...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- EC MBA hosts Health & Safety Conference to address ‘burning’ questions in building industries
- Ster-Kinekor closing cinemas at Greenacres as focus shifts to premium experiences