RECAP: 31 August an interesting day in Nelson Mandela Metro
The end of Winter was an extremely eventful day in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday when temperatures suddenly shot up to discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape.
Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services' Eastern Cape Client Liaison Officer, on Friday compiled a comparison of the difference in temperatures between the Automatic Weather Station (AWS) at Shark Rock Pier and the Airport as well as other stations in the Bay.
To put things into perspective, below are the distances between the stations;
- Airport to Shark Rock 6 km
- Airport to Fettes Road 6 km
- Airport to Chatty 16 km
- Airport to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Coega 20km
- Shark Rock to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Airport 6 km
This is in a radius of around 15 km.
- Shark Rock has its “feet in the water”.
- Coega is one km from the bay.
- The Airport is about 6km from the bay.
- Fettes is one km from the bay.
- Chatty is 11 km from the bay
- Uitenhage is 25 km from the bay.
"I came across some interesting facts and figures in so far as the temperatures in the Metro in concerned," said Sampson.
The Maximum and Minimum temperature’s for the day, were as follows;
- Max Maximum 41.2° C Coega,
- Min Maximum 37.1° C Shark Rock,
- Max Minimum 17.9° C Fettes Road, and
- Min Minimum 12.2°C Airport.
"As the temperature rose at 12 am the temperature difference between Shark Rock and the Airport was more than 14°C," Sampson said.
As it dropped the difference peaked at just short of 22C difference between Shark Rock and Coega.
Some interesting graphs for the day.
It has been a slow start to the Save South Africa Freedom ...
Two suspects, aged 21 and 28 years old, was arrested shortly...
A crowd of loyal supporters has gathered in front of the City Hall, in Port Elizabeth, where the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape is hosting its Freedom Day rally....
11 students from the King Hintsa TVET College, Theko and...
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa ...
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances