RECAP: 31 August an interesting day in Nelson Mandela Metro
The end of Winter was an extremely eventful day in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday when temperatures suddenly shot up to discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape.
Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services' Eastern Cape Client Liaison Officer, on Friday compiled a comparison of the difference in temperatures between the Automatic Weather Station (AWS) at Shark Rock Pier and the Airport as well as other stations in the Bay.
To put things into perspective, below are the distances between the stations;
- Airport to Shark Rock 6 km
- Airport to Fettes Road 6 km
- Airport to Chatty 16 km
- Airport to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Coega 20km
- Shark Rock to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Airport 6 km
This is in a radius of around 15 km.
- Shark Rock has its “feet in the water”.
- Coega is one km from the bay.
- The Airport is about 6km from the bay.
- Fettes is one km from the bay.
- Chatty is 11 km from the bay
- Uitenhage is 25 km from the bay.
"I came across some interesting facts and figures in so far as the temperatures in the Metro in concerned," said Sampson.
The Maximum and Minimum temperature’s for the day, were as follows;
- Max Maximum 41.2° C Coega,
- Min Maximum 37.1° C Shark Rock,
- Max Minimum 17.9° C Fettes Road, and
- Min Minimum 12.2°C Airport.
"As the temperature rose at 12 am the temperature difference between Shark Rock and the Airport was more than 14°C," Sampson said.
As it dropped the difference peaked at just short of 22C difference between Shark Rock and Coega.
Some interesting graphs for the day.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!
- NMMU lambasted for giving parents and students 'false' assurances of safety
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Money owed to Eastern Cape municipalities climbs to R8.2 billion: DA
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year