RECAP: 31 August an interesting day in Nelson Mandela Metro
The end of Winter was an extremely eventful day in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday when temperatures suddenly shot up to discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape.
Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services' Eastern Cape Client Liaison Officer, on Friday compiled a comparison of the difference in temperatures between the Automatic Weather Station (AWS) at Shark Rock Pier and the Airport as well as other stations in the Bay.
To put things into perspective, below are the distances between the stations;
- Airport to Shark Rock 6 km
- Airport to Fettes Road 6 km
- Airport to Chatty 16 km
- Airport to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Coega 20km
- Shark Rock to Uitenhage 35 km
- Shark Rock to Airport 6 km
This is in a radius of around 15 km.
- Shark Rock has its “feet in the water”.
- Coega is one km from the bay.
- The Airport is about 6km from the bay.
- Fettes is one km from the bay.
- Chatty is 11 km from the bay
- Uitenhage is 25 km from the bay.
"I came across some interesting facts and figures in so far as the temperatures in the Metro in concerned," said Sampson.
The Maximum and Minimum temperature’s for the day, were as follows;
- Max Maximum 41.2° C Coega,
- Min Maximum 37.1° C Shark Rock,
- Max Minimum 17.9° C Fettes Road, and
- Min Minimum 12.2°C Airport.
"As the temperature rose at 12 am the temperature difference between Shark Rock and the Airport was more than 14°C," Sampson said.
As it dropped the difference peaked at just short of 22C difference between Shark Rock and Coega.
Some interesting graphs for the day.
The figures for visitor traffic at Cape Town International...
The George Municipality’s department of Community...
Chippa United have confirmed that highly-acquainted development coach, Zipho...
The Broad – Based Black Economic Empowerment Act and...
Many of us view the New Year as the next chapter. We...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
The case against one of Port Elizabeth's most wanted gangsters, Randy Malgas, alias Flat, was postponed to next week Monday when he appeared in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Monday. In the meantime, he remains in custody ahead of a...
After drawing their Sunfoil 3-Day Cup match against...
The annual Kouga Multisport Race, sponsored by...
The completion of an R80 million slope stabilisation...
- 18-year-old male drowns in PE spear fishing tragedy
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- One of Port Elizabeth's most wanted gangsters expected in court after weekend arrest
- Two killed, one wounded in Bloemendal weekend shooting