RECAP: How Christopher Panayiotou lost his bail bid
Magistrate Abigail Beeton on Friday gave a report back to the State and Defence in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court describing why she denied bail for Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, last week.
Panayiotou is accused of masterminding the abduction and murder of his school teacher wife, Jayde, who was shot three times and her body dumped in an area near Kwanobuhle in Uitenhage in April.
The hearing was attended by the Panayiotou family while Jayde's family were notably absent.
Beeton said that in her view;
- Panayiotou was a flight risk and no bail conditions guaranteed that he would stay in the country. She also said that handing in his travel documents did not count as control was not very effective at points of entry as shwon by George Luca, who fled to Cyprus after allegedly shooting dead Lolly Jackson.
- His bail bond offering of R50 000 seemed like an amount he could walk away from as he was in debt himself despite claims by the defense that he had various assets and interests to keep him here.
- Panayiotou had potential to interfere with witnesses - which would jeorpadise the case.
- He had failed to discharge the onus that exceptional circumstances existed for him to be released on bail - except for describing his cell conditions as dispicable and disgusting. Prison was not meant to be a holiday farm, she reminded him.
- Panayiotou could temper with evidence as the investigation was still incomplete.
- He was initially not forthwith with the court by not disclosing that he had dual citizenship in his founding affidavit. She said disclosing information about the Cyprus travel documents and his dual citizenship status was crucial in the determination of bail.
- The State had shown a strong case against him.
She postponed the bail issue to the 19th June, when Panayiotou will make his first court appearance with two other accused - the alleged middleman, Luthando Siyoni, and the alleged hitman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke.
Magistrate Beeton did acknowledge that it might be a year before Panayiotou stands trial and all the while he will be behind bars.
Panayiotou's defence attorney, Alwyn Griebenow, said they were studying the judgement and would decide on a way forward from there.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Retired teachers brought in to mentor underperforming Eastern Cape schools
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Managing stress in the workplace