Residents evacuating as St Francis Bay fires flare up again
A Westerly wind reportedly began fanning more fires in the St Francis Bay area on Wednesday afternoon, hours after Kouga Local Municipality firefighters and disaster management teams had taken a break from fighting other fires on Tuesday night. The fires began on Saturday.
@stfrancisbay, the Twitter site for St Francis Bay, reported that residents from Sea Vista were evacuating together with business in the industrial area and that Tarragona Road had been closed.
"Do not travel up Taragona Rd, traffic is congested and hindering the community who is trying to flee the fire," the Twitter page also advised.
Image: Cnr R330 and Tarragona Rd at around 15:00, Sea Vista residents have reportedly been advised to leave immediately.
Reports from Algoa FM News say the fire did jump the road to the Sea Vista side, but Kouga Municipality firefighters were able to extinguish it. A helicopter has been dousing the area throughout the day. A second chopper is on the way.
It is now understood that the Sarah Baartman District Municipality will also be sending firefighters from other local municipalities to assist in bringing the blaze under control.
Battling the blaze
Rain on late Monday morning reportedly brought some relief for Kouga Local Municipality fire-fighters and other disaster management teams, who have been working since Saturday to contain a runaway blaze in the area.
Two helicopters have been involved with water-bombing the blaze while a third helicopter was expected.
On Monday morning, the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) said that a flare is believed to have been used to start the fire.
It appeared that the flare landed in a patch of bush near Sea Vista on Saturday, spokesperson Paul Hurley said. The NSRI was helping with the firefighting effort.
The Kouga Local Municipality subsequently opened a case of arson with the local police.
The fire began at the Irma Booysen Flora Reserve, which is adjacent to the Thyspunt area - one of the proposed sites for Eskom's new nuclear power station.
A similar fire destroyed or damaged 76 houses (at a cost that was estimated to be in the millions) in St Francis Bay in November 2012. The fire started at the Royal Wharf developments and was also fanned by a strong westerly wind.
Meanwhile, police in St Francis Bay on Monday said that they are disturbed by malicious reports in the media of a flare may have caused the ravaging flames in the St Francis Bay and Cape St Francis area.
"An enquiry docket was opened to determine the cause of fire,"said the police.
'The fire that was reported to have started on Saturday, around 2pm, and immediately relevant role players were summoned to the scene.
"The affected residents were assisted and evacuated to safe areas.
"The police have since opened an enquiry, which is to investigate the cause of fire, and not a case of arson as it was initially reported."
The police said that, at this stage, they are not in possession of any information that could have sparked the fire in the area.
"Anyone with information that would assist police investigation is urged to contact Crime Stop 08600 10111or St Francis Bay SAPS at 042 200 1818."
Images: @stfrancisbay via Twitter.
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Buffalo...
Following days of uncertainty after African National Congress (ANC) Eastern Cape Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) member, Andile Lungisa, controversially contested and won the...
Several anti-crime operations that were conducted by...
Eastern Cape police on Monday appealed to the public for...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Monday said that...
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Over 1 000 police vehicles out of service in the Eastern Cape alone: DA
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- Police appeal for leads following brazen early morning robbery in Ngcobo