Rio 2016 Paralympics: Former Grey boy, Kevin Paul gets Team SA its first gold medal
It was a good day for South Africa on Thursday as the country managed to nag its first gold medal of the 2016 Paralympics in Rio - on the very first day of the event!
Team SA performed very well and placed well in their events, and most will be participating in the next rounds of their events.
Port Elizabeth’s Golden Grey boy, Kevin Paul, secured South Africa its first gold medal in the Men’s 100m breaststroke, SB9 classification. He was considered most likely to win gold in his event and had no trouble backing up the statement with a strong finish near the end.
Newcomer, Alani Ferreira, performed well in her first ever Paralympic event, and managed to place 7th in the Women’s 100m Butterfly, S13 classification.
For the athletes, Hilton Langenhoven managed to qualify for the Semi-Finals of the Men’s 400m, T12 classification, but the veteran ended up being disqualified for running outside his lane. Arnu Fourie qualified for the Men’s 100m, T44 classification, and Liezel Gouws, a newcomer to the Paralympic stage, also qualified for the Women’s 100m, T37 classification.
Unfortunately, Mphumi Mlongo, another newcomer, did not manage to qualify in his 100m Men’s heats, T44 classification.
Roxy Burns managed to place 11th in the Women’s Cycling 3km Individual Pursuit, C1-3 classification.
SA Competitors for Saturday:
- Shireen Shapiro – Women’s 50m Freestyle heats, S10 classification;
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Backstroke heats, S11 classification and
- Emily Gray – Women’s 400m Freestyle heats, S9 classification
- Liezel Gouws – Women’s 100m Finals, T37 classification and
- Arnu Fourie – Men’s 100m, T44 classification
- Dane Wilson – Men’s Individual Kilo, C4-5 classification
- Evans Maripa – Men’s singles WT;
- Leon Els – Men’s singles WT and
- Lucas Sithole – Quad’s singles WT01-04
- Sandra Khumalo – AS Women’s tx
- Willie Morgan, Shannon Murray, Lucy Perold, Dylan Trollope, Dieter Rosslee – LTA mixed 4+
Three men are expected in court soon after they were...
University authorities in South Africa have agreed to most fees protesters’ demands. Yet, the protesters keep moving the goalposts. Do they want more than fees to fall?...
It is a while since I have driven a vehicle in BMW’s ubiquitous...
South Africa's withdrawal from the ICC could have mere...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
A stern warning has been issued to Kouga Local Municipality...
Ten days ago, five St Andrew’s College shooters...
The Art, Dance, Drama and Music departments all made...
A perfect early summer day seemed to lift the...
- Violence rocks NMMU for a third day, while thousands expected to march on Union Buildings
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!
- NMMU says it remains open and learning is taking place
- Notorius Port Elizabeth gang leader denied bail
- Money owed to Eastern Cape municipalities climbs to R8.2 billion: DA