Rio 2016 Paralympics: Former Grey boy, Kevin Paul gets Team SA its first gold medal
It was a good day for South Africa on Thursday as the country managed to nag its first gold medal of the 2016 Paralympics in Rio - on the very first day of the event!
Team SA performed very well and placed well in their events, and most will be participating in the next rounds of their events.
Port Elizabeth’s Golden Grey boy, Kevin Paul, secured South Africa its first gold medal in the Men’s 100m breaststroke, SB9 classification. He was considered most likely to win gold in his event and had no trouble backing up the statement with a strong finish near the end.
Newcomer, Alani Ferreira, performed well in her first ever Paralympic event, and managed to place 7th in the Women’s 100m Butterfly, S13 classification.
For the athletes, Hilton Langenhoven managed to qualify for the Semi-Finals of the Men’s 400m, T12 classification, but the veteran ended up being disqualified for running outside his lane. Arnu Fourie qualified for the Men’s 100m, T44 classification, and Liezel Gouws, a newcomer to the Paralympic stage, also qualified for the Women’s 100m, T37 classification.
Unfortunately, Mphumi Mlongo, another newcomer, did not manage to qualify in his 100m Men’s heats, T44 classification.
Roxy Burns managed to place 11th in the Women’s Cycling 3km Individual Pursuit, C1-3 classification.
SA Competitors for Saturday:
- Shireen Shapiro – Women’s 50m Freestyle heats, S10 classification;
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Backstroke heats, S11 classification and
- Emily Gray – Women’s 400m Freestyle heats, S9 classification
- Liezel Gouws – Women’s 100m Finals, T37 classification and
- Arnu Fourie – Men’s 100m, T44 classification
- Dane Wilson – Men’s Individual Kilo, C4-5 classification
- Evans Maripa – Men’s singles WT;
- Leon Els – Men’s singles WT and
- Lucas Sithole – Quad’s singles WT01-04
- Sandra Khumalo – AS Women’s tx
- Willie Morgan, Shannon Murray, Lucy Perold, Dylan Trollope, Dieter Rosslee – LTA mixed 4+
The Port Elizabeth (PE) Cold Storage plant located in the Coega Industrial Development Zone (IDZ), one of the very first exports orientated investors to locate their facility at the IDZ, is expanding its size by two fold. “The expansion of the new facility...
As part of cost cutting and efficient management...
The fact that disgraced former Eskom group chief executive...
A collaborative and research education hub that seeks to...
The South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI)...
Runner up of the 2017 Herald Continental Mountain Bike...
“The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) welcomes the...
Police in Port Elizabeth would like to warn mourners and those...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Chamber of Business on Wednesday...
- Port Elizabeth police seek public's assistance in locating rape suspect
- Angry taxi drivers block off NMMU Missionvale Campus entrance over shuttle service
- The Great Moscow Circus Big Top Goes Up at The Boardwalk!!
- Two alleged gangsters arrested just after shooting dead Bethelsdorp man
- Mourners robbed at cemetery - Port Elizabeth police urge public to be vigilant