Rio 2016 Paralympics: Former Grey boy, Kevin Paul gets Team SA its first gold medal
It was a good day for South Africa on Thursday as the country managed to nag its first gold medal of the 2016 Paralympics in Rio - on the very first day of the event!
Team SA performed very well and placed well in their events, and most will be participating in the next rounds of their events.
Port Elizabeth’s Golden Grey boy, Kevin Paul, secured South Africa its first gold medal in the Men’s 100m breaststroke, SB9 classification. He was considered most likely to win gold in his event and had no trouble backing up the statement with a strong finish near the end.
Newcomer, Alani Ferreira, performed well in her first ever Paralympic event, and managed to place 7th in the Women’s 100m Butterfly, S13 classification.
For the athletes, Hilton Langenhoven managed to qualify for the Semi-Finals of the Men’s 400m, T12 classification, but the veteran ended up being disqualified for running outside his lane. Arnu Fourie qualified for the Men’s 100m, T44 classification, and Liezel Gouws, a newcomer to the Paralympic stage, also qualified for the Women’s 100m, T37 classification.
Unfortunately, Mphumi Mlongo, another newcomer, did not manage to qualify in his 100m Men’s heats, T44 classification.
Roxy Burns managed to place 11th in the Women’s Cycling 3km Individual Pursuit, C1-3 classification.
SA Competitors for Saturday:
- Shireen Shapiro – Women’s 50m Freestyle heats, S10 classification;
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Backstroke heats, S11 classification and
- Emily Gray – Women’s 400m Freestyle heats, S9 classification
- Liezel Gouws – Women’s 100m Finals, T37 classification and
- Arnu Fourie – Men’s 100m, T44 classification
- Dane Wilson – Men’s Individual Kilo, C4-5 classification
- Evans Maripa – Men’s singles WT;
- Leon Els – Men’s singles WT and
- Lucas Sithole – Quad’s singles WT01-04
- Sandra Khumalo – AS Women’s tx
- Willie Morgan, Shannon Murray, Lucy Perold, Dylan Trollope, Dieter Rosslee – LTA mixed 4+
Early in January, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University...
The South African Weather Services on Wednesday morning said that high levels of discomfort and veld fire conditions were to be expected in the southern parts of the Eastern Cape...
The effects of a sovereign credit rating downgrade would be...
Notice is hereby given that the electricity supply...
Scores of new students and their parents are set to descend...
An enthusiastic team of 30 champions have been...
Pearson High School hosted fellow PE rivals, Grey High...
The figures for visitor traffic at Cape Town International...
The George Municipality’s department of...
Chippa United have confirmed that highly-acquainted development coach, Zipho...
- Ford Kugas Burning: Early data shows lack of coolant circulation is the cause says Ford SA
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Case against New Year's Day rape accused postponed to Thursday
- Over 61 800 speeding tickets issued in Bay during summer season