Risk of load shedding high tonight: Eskom
Eskom has warned that the risk of load shedding is medium for Friday morning and is expected to be high for the evening. The power utility has been struggling to build enough generating capacity to meet electricity demand in the economy.
On Thursday, Eskom, in its System Status Bulletin, said; "The electricity system remains significantly constrained today and for the rest of the week leading into the weekend, as well as next week as demand surpasses available supply. The shortage of generating capacity is due to several units being out of service for maintenance.
"The capacity available to meet tomorrow’s evening peak demand is 30 878 MW (including open cycle gas turbines) while demand is forecast at 31 426 MW."
For Saturday, the capacity available to meet that evening’s peak demand is 31 068 MW (including open cycle gas turbines) while demand is forecast at 30 342 MW, the power utility said.
Meanwhile, Public Enterprises Minister, Lynne Brown, on Thursday warned that South Africans should brace themselves for three more years of load shedding as Eskom continues to struggle with meeting demands.
Addressing the media, Brown, however, rejected the idea of the beleaguered power utility being privatised, but added that teaming up with a “strategic partner” remains a probability.
“I actually don't really believe we should have privatisation when it comes to basic services ... (however) there are parts of what we own that could go to a strategic partner, but when it comes to basic services I am not in favour,” she said.
Eskom has meanwhile revealed that the recently commissioned Unit 6 of its much troubled Medupi Power Station had gone six days without a experiencing a blackout, and generated a new output record of 735 megawatts, not far from its claimed capacity of 794 megawatts.
“We are pleased with this significant milestone and believe that power from this unit will go a long way in alleviating the capacity challenges we are facing,” acting CEO Brain Molefe was quoted by News24 as saying.
“We commend the project team for their hard work and level of commitment in these trying times and this achievement gives a strong indication that we are steadily turning the corner in our quest to ease the pressure on the national power grid”.
NESLON MANDELA BAY MUNICIPALITY
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality load shedding schedule below - should you need it:
Please note that:
UPDATED DOMESTIC GROUPS
- The schedule does not mean that every single household/property in a particular Group will definitely be switched off for the entire duration of the loadshedding time-slot;
- Hospitals and major industrial areas are not affected by loadshedding. In certain instances, there are households which are supplied from the same substation that provides power to a hospital or factory (such as at SANCA in Chatty) - these households are, fortunately and consequently, not affected by loadshedding;
Loadshedding will not be implemented outside the scheduled timeframes.
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela Bay on Friday said that while it regrets the events that led to violent clashes in a Nelson Mandel Bay Council meeting on Thursday, it was the Democratic Alliance-led coalition that is to blame for...
Residents of Port Elizabeth will have the opportunity to find...
I have been given the feedback that I am too hard on my...
Butterworth police says that they are investigating how a...
In its latest update to concerned parents and students, the...
Studies show 53% of South Africans don't take their annual...
Babalwa Breakfast is due to appear in the Port Elizabeth...
Nelson Mandela Bay Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture...
Police in Despatch on Thursday arrested three suspected...
This week, on Wednesday, marked the end of a landmark...
- It was not just in Nelson Mandela Bay: DA accuses ANC of several coordinated disruptions
- REVEALED: The Top 10 most stressful jobs in South Africa
- Hefty fines for damaging Nelson Mandela Bay underground electricity cables
- Panayiotou trial: Babalwa Breakfast due in court for perjury and obstructing justice
- The Bridge Street Brewery Summer Music Festival