Romicon to fund funerals of deceased construction workers
Romicon, the construction company which was involved in the renovation of the house which collapsed in Alberton, will be contributing to the funerals of the seven workers who died.
"We have met with the families of the deceased and we will be assisting with contributions for the funerals," Romicon owner Sean Romburgh said in a text message to Sapa.
"We have also arranged trauma counselling for family and staff members for today [Wednesday],” Romburgh added.
The Ekurhuleni municipality said on Tuesday, that building plans for the house were not submitted for approval.
"No plans were submitted to the City of Ekurhuleni, deeming the whole construction illegal," said municipal spokesperson Themba Gadebe.
"Any builder constructing any structure should first submit plans for approval, as required by the law,” he noted.
Seven construction workers died and eight were injured after part of a house in Meyersdal Eco Estate collapsed. The house was being renovated at the time.
The National Home Builders’ Registration Council said that they are investigating the incident.
Photo courtesy of www.africa.widmi.com
Reports from France have indicated that around 1 000 police are making their way to an industrial complex in the town of Dammartin-en-Goele, where the two suspect brothers, involved in the attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, are believed to have taken at least one person hostage.
The value of building plans passed by larger municipalities in the Eastern Cape, including Nelson Mandela Bay, increased by 2.2% in the first 10 months of this year compared to the same period in 2013.
President Jacob Zuma says South Africa remains grateful to the leadership of the late former President Nelson Mandela and has urged South Africans to continue to reflect on the many lessons that Madiba’s life presented to the nation.
A total of 6 870 people in the Eastern Cape died of non-natural causes in 2013, according to figures released by Statistics South Africa.
The value of building plans passed by larger municipalities in the Eastern Cape increased by 2.5% to just under R3.7 billion in the first nine months of this year compared to the same period in 2013, according to figures released by Statistics South Africa.
Two months since the tragic collapse of a guesthouse in Lagos, Nigeria, the bodies of 74 of the deceased have arrived home to a poignant and emotional reception ceremony.
The value of building plans passed by larger municipalities in the Eastern Cape dropped by 1.9% to just over R3.2 billion in the first eight months of this year, compared with the same period last year.
The Eastern Cape MEC for Transport, Roads and Public Works, Thandiswa Marawu, officially handed over an upgraded and surfaced R337 roadway – which links Jansenville and Klipplaat, to the Ikwezi community on the 6th of May at the Jansenville Rugby field.
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- Nelson Mandela Bay Metro clamping down on municipal fleet abuse to cut costs
- Mourners robbed at cemetery - Port Elizabeth police urge public to be vigilant
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop
- DA applauds Metro for allocating land for additional police station in Northern Areas