Rumours about Sizani’s departure untrue - ANC

BY CHARL BOSCH - MARCH 3, 2016

The African National Congress (ANC) has denounced speculation by opposition parties regarding the sudden resignation of its former Chief Whip, Stone Sizani.

This comes after the ruling party announced on Wednesday that Sizani, who had been its Chief Whip since 2013, would be re-deployed “to a new responsibility” that was urgently needed. The party has since confirmed previous rumours that the position would that of an ambassador in Germany.

“We reject with the contempt they deserve any opportunistic speculation that seek to suggest nefarious reasons behind Comrade Stone Sizani`s redeployment. The ANC has exercised its right to deploy its cadres to positions where it deems fitting and necessary,” party spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

“Comrade Sizani has served the organisation and the people of the Republic of South Africa with diligence and commitment, and the ANC confidant he will discharge his new responsibility with the same tenacity and determination he has consistently displayed”.

Speaking soon after the announcement, Democratic Alliance (DA) Chief Whip John Steenhuisen said the ongoing tension and fighting within the ANC had resulted in Sizani being “crushed by his conscience”.

“For the past three years, Sizani has been forced to make a career of defending the indefensible in Parliament at President Zuma’s behest, and has sustained numerous embarrassments in the National Assembly in the process,” Steenhuisen said.

“His resignation is a clear sign of the growing rifts within the ANC and of an ANC caucus which is collapsing under the weight of President Zuma’s maligned presidency”.