SA is unequal says Madonsela
Public Protector, Thuli Madonsela, has branded South Africa as one of the most unequal societies in the world, ‘despite constitutional promises which include the substantive notion of equality’.
SA Breaking News reports that Madonsela made the statement while delivering a speech hosted by the University of Stellenbosch’s Law Faculty on Saturday.
“Compounding the situation is that poverty and unemployment have worsened and also the fact that, that too follows the contours of racial, gender and other forms of structural inequality or discrimination,” said Madonsela.
She also stated that as long as injustices continue, the world and the country would not be able to live in peace.
“We may not be paragons of non-discrimination as that is impossible [given that we are] products of a society where the hierachisation of difference is entrenched through socialisation from birth. All we need to do is play our part in our respective spaces as earnestly as possible,” she said.
Image sourced from livemag.co.za
- Tragedy averted as father and son rescued in Port Elizabeth
- Traffic advisory - Controlled blasting on the N2 between Dutywa and Mthatha
- DA condemns waste of municipal funds by Buffalo City Metro
- Teenagers - Venter and De Jager, win maiden SPAR River Mile titles
- Eastern Cape farmers brace for new national minimum wage