SA Team Rio 2016 Paralympics – Liebenberg nabs Silver for SA
Team South African at the Rio 2016 Paralympics fails to disappoint us, as another Silver medal was added to the table - the third one for South Africa so far.
Anruné Liebenberg secured the silver medal in the Women’s 400m finals, T47 classification - her main event. This bring South Africa’s medal tally up to 9, however, in the total medal board, South Africa seems to have dropped from 19th to 27th place.
For our male runners; Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu secured a place in the finals of the Men’s 100m, T12 classification, and 14-year old rising star Ntando Mahlangu has also made it into the finals for the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Zandile Nhlapo only managed to place 8th in her Shot Put event, F34 classification.
In tennis, Lucas Sithole narrowly missed the bronze medal in the Men’s Quad mixed singles, WT20-21 classification.
It was a heart breaking conclusion to the Men’s 200m kayak single heats for Graham Paull as he was disqualified due to circumstances with his canoe, despite placing 4th in his heats.
Shaun Anderson performed well in his Archery for Individual Compound, but only managed to make it to round 1/16 in the end.
Our cyclists sadly did not place high enough in their events. Craig Ridgard placed 11th, Goldy Fuchs taking 9th and Dane Wilson placing 14th. The closest to qualifying were Ernst van Dyk and Justine Asher, who both managed to place 5th in their races. Roxy Burns had withdrawn due to being unable to eat during the day and did not want to risk anything.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification.
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m heats, T37 classification;
- Louzanne Coetzee – Women’s 1500m heats, T11 classification;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Men’s 100m Finals, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m Finals, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m heats, T47 classification;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Men’s Javelin Finals, F38 classification;
- Chenelle van Zyl – Women’s Shot Put Finals, T35 classification; and
- Dyan Buis – Men’s Long Jump Finals, T38 classification.
- Ernst van Dyk – Men’s Road Race Final, H5 classification; and
- Justine Asher – Women’s Road Race Final, H2-4 classification.
The retail price of both 93 and 95 octane petrol will decrease by 8c a litre on Wednesday, while the price of diesel will also decrease by 2c a litre and the wholesale price of illuminating paraffin will decrease by 8c a litre, the Department of Energy...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA), which...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday said that it would...
Almost half of all phishing attacks (fraudulent email messages...
Key executives from Grant Thornton South Africa provide commentary...
The finance minister, Mr Gordhan, delivered a budget speech...
Queens College last Saturday won the Queenstown Under-17 Sevens...
That innovation is important and necessary for survival...
A 45-year-old man from Butterworth is expected in court on...
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- NMMU urges students to apply for Fee Adjustment Grant
- Centane man gets 7-year suspended sentence after killing his own brother
- Dept of Energy confirms slight petrol price decreases for March 2017
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop