SA Team Rio 2016 Paralympics – Liebenberg nabs Silver for SA
Team South African at the Rio 2016 Paralympics fails to disappoint us, as another Silver medal was added to the table - the third one for South Africa so far.
Anruné Liebenberg secured the silver medal in the Women’s 400m finals, T47 classification - her main event. This bring South Africa’s medal tally up to 9, however, in the total medal board, South Africa seems to have dropped from 19th to 27th place.
For our male runners; Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu secured a place in the finals of the Men’s 100m, T12 classification, and 14-year old rising star Ntando Mahlangu has also made it into the finals for the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Zandile Nhlapo only managed to place 8th in her Shot Put event, F34 classification.
In tennis, Lucas Sithole narrowly missed the bronze medal in the Men’s Quad mixed singles, WT20-21 classification.
It was a heart breaking conclusion to the Men’s 200m kayak single heats for Graham Paull as he was disqualified due to circumstances with his canoe, despite placing 4th in his heats.
Shaun Anderson performed well in his Archery for Individual Compound, but only managed to make it to round 1/16 in the end.
Our cyclists sadly did not place high enough in their events. Craig Ridgard placed 11th, Goldy Fuchs taking 9th and Dane Wilson placing 14th. The closest to qualifying were Ernst van Dyk and Justine Asher, who both managed to place 5th in their races. Roxy Burns had withdrawn due to being unable to eat during the day and did not want to risk anything.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification.
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m heats, T37 classification;
- Louzanne Coetzee – Women’s 1500m heats, T11 classification;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Men’s 100m Finals, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m Finals, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m heats, T47 classification;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Men’s Javelin Finals, F38 classification;
- Chenelle van Zyl – Women’s Shot Put Finals, T35 classification; and
- Dyan Buis – Men’s Long Jump Finals, T38 classification.
- Ernst van Dyk – Men’s Road Race Final, H5 classification; and
- Justine Asher – Women’s Road Race Final, H2-4 classification.
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Buffalo...
Following days of uncertainty after African National Congress (ANC) Eastern Cape Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) member, Andile Lungisa, controversially contested and won the...
Several anti-crime operations that were conducted by...
Eastern Cape police on Monday appealed to the public for...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Monday said that...
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Over 1 000 police vehicles out of service in the Eastern Cape alone: DA
- Police appeal for leads following brazen early morning robbery in Ngcobo
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery