SA Team Rio 2016 Paralympics – Liebenberg nabs Silver for SA
Team South African at the Rio 2016 Paralympics fails to disappoint us, as another Silver medal was added to the table - the third one for South Africa so far.
Anruné Liebenberg secured the silver medal in the Women’s 400m finals, T47 classification - her main event. This bring South Africa’s medal tally up to 9, however, in the total medal board, South Africa seems to have dropped from 19th to 27th place.
For our male runners; Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu secured a place in the finals of the Men’s 100m, T12 classification, and 14-year old rising star Ntando Mahlangu has also made it into the finals for the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Zandile Nhlapo only managed to place 8th in her Shot Put event, F34 classification.
In tennis, Lucas Sithole narrowly missed the bronze medal in the Men’s Quad mixed singles, WT20-21 classification.
It was a heart breaking conclusion to the Men’s 200m kayak single heats for Graham Paull as he was disqualified due to circumstances with his canoe, despite placing 4th in his heats.
Shaun Anderson performed well in his Archery for Individual Compound, but only managed to make it to round 1/16 in the end.
Our cyclists sadly did not place high enough in their events. Craig Ridgard placed 11th, Goldy Fuchs taking 9th and Dane Wilson placing 14th. The closest to qualifying were Ernst van Dyk and Justine Asher, who both managed to place 5th in their races. Roxy Burns had withdrawn due to being unable to eat during the day and did not want to risk anything.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification.
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m heats, T37 classification;
- Louzanne Coetzee – Women’s 1500m heats, T11 classification;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Men’s 100m Finals, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m Finals, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m heats, T47 classification;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Men’s Javelin Finals, F38 classification;
- Chenelle van Zyl – Women’s Shot Put Finals, T35 classification; and
- Dyan Buis – Men’s Long Jump Finals, T38 classification.
- Ernst van Dyk – Men’s Road Race Final, H5 classification; and
- Justine Asher – Women’s Road Race Final, H2-4 classification.
Sergeant Kayeni Malila, of Motherwell SAPS, was recognised...
All three suspects, including a teenager, who are alleged to...
The members of African Drumbeat attended the...
Jet Club in partnership with Educor launched...
Ah, salt. We love its taste and yearn to use it liberally in our...
The New Year has begun and for many this is a time to...
A 33-year-old woman is expected in court on Monday after...
Eastern Cape police on Friday appealed to the public for...
Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown has instructed Eskom...
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Eastern...
- Case against men who kidnapped woman outside Peddie court and murdered her postponed
- First cop on scene after elderly American couple is hijacked recognised
- Two killed after gunmen open fire at family, police appeal for leads
- Two men in custody for house robberies in East London - more arrests expected
- Kouga Local Municipality was 'packed with holidaymakers' over festive season: Mayor