SA Team Rio 2016 Paralympics – Liebenberg nabs Silver for SA
Team South African at the Rio 2016 Paralympics fails to disappoint us, as another Silver medal was added to the table - the third one for South Africa so far.
Anruné Liebenberg secured the silver medal in the Women’s 400m finals, T47 classification - her main event. This bring South Africa’s medal tally up to 9, however, in the total medal board, South Africa seems to have dropped from 19th to 27th place.
For our male runners; Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu secured a place in the finals of the Men’s 100m, T12 classification, and 14-year old rising star Ntando Mahlangu has also made it into the finals for the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Zandile Nhlapo only managed to place 8th in her Shot Put event, F34 classification.
In tennis, Lucas Sithole narrowly missed the bronze medal in the Men’s Quad mixed singles, WT20-21 classification.
It was a heart breaking conclusion to the Men’s 200m kayak single heats for Graham Paull as he was disqualified due to circumstances with his canoe, despite placing 4th in his heats.
Shaun Anderson performed well in his Archery for Individual Compound, but only managed to make it to round 1/16 in the end.
Our cyclists sadly did not place high enough in their events. Craig Ridgard placed 11th, Goldy Fuchs taking 9th and Dane Wilson placing 14th. The closest to qualifying were Ernst van Dyk and Justine Asher, who both managed to place 5th in their races. Roxy Burns had withdrawn due to being unable to eat during the day and did not want to risk anything.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification.
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m heats, T37 classification;
- Louzanne Coetzee – Women’s 1500m heats, T11 classification;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Men’s 100m Finals, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m Finals, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m heats, T47 classification;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Men’s Javelin Finals, F38 classification;
- Chenelle van Zyl – Women’s Shot Put Finals, T35 classification; and
- Dyan Buis – Men’s Long Jump Finals, T38 classification.
- Ernst van Dyk – Men’s Road Race Final, H5 classification; and
- Justine Asher – Women’s Road Race Final, H2-4 classification.
The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) has made...
The trial of murder accused Christopher Panayiotou resumed at the Port Elizabeth High Court on Monday. The Port Elizabeth businessman and his co-accused, Sinethemba Nenembe and...
Wilderness Foundation Africa is supporting the SANParks...
Chippa United would feel more at ease after much...
The Back to Basics approach adopted by Eastern Cape police...
Let’s be honest, whoever came up with the idea...
Steven Berg, a fibre artisan and reality TV star...
The Eastern Province Rugby Union Grand Challenge resumed again...
Three robbery suspects were arrested within 25 minutes of...
Several disruptive operations that were conducted over the...
- Three nabbed just 25 minutes after allegedly robbing Port Elizabeth shop
- Metro cops seize laptops from officials after irregular payments
- Time for Port Elizabeth's 'sleeping giant' to wake up to UDZ rebates
- Proposed Ebuhlanti entrance fee will kill our businesses: Hawkers
- DA and Aspen welcome probe into alleged anti-competitive practices at the company