SA Team Rio 2016 Paralympics – Liebenberg nabs Silver for SA
Team South African at the Rio 2016 Paralympics fails to disappoint us, as another Silver medal was added to the table - the third one for South Africa so far.
Anruné Liebenberg secured the silver medal in the Women’s 400m finals, T47 classification - her main event. This bring South Africa’s medal tally up to 9, however, in the total medal board, South Africa seems to have dropped from 19th to 27th place.
For our male runners; Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu secured a place in the finals of the Men’s 100m, T12 classification, and 14-year old rising star Ntando Mahlangu has also made it into the finals for the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Zandile Nhlapo only managed to place 8th in her Shot Put event, F34 classification.
In tennis, Lucas Sithole narrowly missed the bronze medal in the Men’s Quad mixed singles, WT20-21 classification.
It was a heart breaking conclusion to the Men’s 200m kayak single heats for Graham Paull as he was disqualified due to circumstances with his canoe, despite placing 4th in his heats.
Shaun Anderson performed well in his Archery for Individual Compound, but only managed to make it to round 1/16 in the end.
Our cyclists sadly did not place high enough in their events. Craig Ridgard placed 11th, Goldy Fuchs taking 9th and Dane Wilson placing 14th. The closest to qualifying were Ernst van Dyk and Justine Asher, who both managed to place 5th in their races. Roxy Burns had withdrawn due to being unable to eat during the day and did not want to risk anything.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification.
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m heats, T37 classification;
- Louzanne Coetzee – Women’s 1500m heats, T11 classification;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Men’s 100m Finals, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m Finals, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m heats, T47 classification;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Men’s Javelin Finals, F38 classification;
- Chenelle van Zyl – Women’s Shot Put Finals, T35 classification; and
- Dyan Buis – Men’s Long Jump Finals, T38 classification.
- Ernst van Dyk – Men’s Road Race Final, H5 classification; and
- Justine Asher – Women’s Road Race Final, H2-4 classification.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!
- NMMU lambasted for giving parents and students 'false' assurances of safety
- Money owed to Eastern Cape municipalities climbs to R8.2 billion: DA
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year