“SABC went back on its words” - Selfe

BY CHARL BOSCH - MAY 8, 2015

Democratic Alliance (DA) Federal Chairperson, James Selfe, has said that the party will not hesitate in taking the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to court after the public broadcaster reportedly went back on its word to provide coverage of the this weekend’s elective conference in Port Elizabeth.

According to reports, Selfe stated that the broadcaster agreed to provide two hours live coverage of outgoing leader Helen Zille’s opening and closing remarks on Saturday, and even contacted the party to ask whether they wanted exposure shortly after Zille announced that she wouldn’t stand for re-election.

“At this stage, the SABC is unwavering in their decision against agreements for live coverage. It is manifestly in the public interest that a national elective congress of the official opposition in South Africa, representing over four million votes, receives coverage on the national broadcaster,” the Daily Maverick quoted Selfe as saying.

“Both the public interest, and the SABC’s own editorial policy, demand that this congress be broadcast to all South Africans, on the national broadcaster”.

The site also claims that SABC spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago, said that an agreement had been struck with the broadcaster’s Head of News, Jimi Matthews, in which live screening would be provided on its 24-hour news channel on DSTV, but that nothing had been approved for broadcasting the conference on SABC2.

Selfe has meanwhile stated that a call to suspended SABC Chief Operating Officer (COO), Hlaudi Motsoeneng, resulted in him being asked to phone back on Friday.