Schools rugby results: St Andrew's College vs St Stithians
St Andrew’s College played their first home fixture on Saturday vs St Stithians College. The two schools have a long standing friendship and it was great to host our friends from Johannesburg in Grahamstown for a change.
"The 1st XV match kicked off at a furious pace with both sides showing that they were prepared to play rugby. However as the half continued St Andrew’s College gained the upper hand and manage to run in 5 outstanding tries to build a commanding 33-7 lead," described Cherié Wille, Communications Officer at the school.
"The pick of the tries being a 50m solo effort from Tim Bloem as he swerved and beat numerous would be defenders on his way to the try line."
The second half started with St Andrew’s College under early pressure as Saints started with a new fire. After an early score from the visitors it was again the turn of Tim Bloem to round off a great counter attack and score his hat trick. St Andrew’s would run in 3 more tries before the end for a well-deserved 59-24 victory.
"It was a great display of running rugby from the 1st XV and it was nice to see them put all the skills that they have been working on into the match on Saturday. There were other notable performance and special mention need to be made of the 15A and 16A teams who showed great guts and fight to beat their more fancied opponents," said Wille.
Tries by: Tim Bloem (3), Chris Benjamin, Sazi Sandi, Tom Stevens, Rourke Broad, Byron Sharwood (2)
Conversion by: Chris Benjamin (7)
Other teams scores:
- 14A SAC 0 St Stithians 55
- 14B SAC 5 Ntaba Maria 14A 65
- 15A SAC 22 St Stithians 13
- 16A SAC 20 St Stithians 14
- 16B SAC 64 Nombulelo 16A 0
- 4th XV SAC 36 Nombulelo 1sts 7
- 3rd XV SAC 61 Nyaluza 1sts 0
- 2nd XV SAC 22 St Stithians 5
- 1st XV SAC 59 St Stithians 24
Image: Oscar Evans driving for the line against St Stithians 2nd XV.
Eastern Cape police on Monday appealed to the public for leads as they launched a massive manhunt for a group of armed robbers that allegedly robbed a bank in Ngcobo and opened fire on officers in a daring robbery early on Monday morning...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Monday said that...
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela...
Did you know 1 in 4 children experience vision problems...
Noragi Elsie Zamela’s long wait for confirmation of her ...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- NMMU Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship award recipients ready to do proud
- Eight suspects expected in Port Elizabeth courts for various crimes