Second Cape Town girl stopped from joining ISIS
State security services last month stopped a second Cape Town teenager from absconding to join the Islamic State (ISIS) group, State Security Minister, David Mahlobo, confirmed on Tuesday.
“Yes, we know about that one,” Mahlobo told news agency, ANA.
The high school girl is from Grassy Park, on the Cape Flats in Cape Town.
Mahlobo said she was apprehended at Cape Town International Airport following a tip-off.
“The nice thing is that we are acting before these things happen,” he added.
“There are certain communities that are being targeted.”
It is understood that security services and the Hawks were in part acting on information given by a 15-year-old girl from Kenwyn who admitted that she was planning to join the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (IS) after she was taken off a flight from Cape Town to OR Tambo on Easter Sunday.
The girls are believed to be friends, and tried to leave the country within 10 days of each other.
Evidence found at the home of the first teenager, who comes from a well-off family, suggested that she had transferred R7 000 to a local bank account whose holder is not known to her family and had been in contact with IS recruiters on social media.
Mahlobo has repeatedly warned parents to monitor their children’s internet usage, as he did again at a media briefing ahead of his ministry’s budget debate in Parliament on Tuesday.
He said following the news of the teenager from Kenwyn’s attempt to make her way to the Middle East to join ISIS, several community groups had contacted his department to say they believed their children were being incited to do the same.
“When it was the question of Cape Town, we met with the Muslim Judicial Council (MJC), we met with various people. We meet with a lot of people who are telling us, to say, ‘you know what, we have been dying in silence.
Several European teenagers are reported to have died in Isis’s brutal campaign to establish a caliphate. In March, the FBI, the domestic intelligence service of the United States, and that country’s Homeland Security Department issued a joint warning that Isis had been successfully recruiting American teenagers via social media networks.
In the same month, two Australian teenage brothers were stopped by airport security in Sydney as they attempted to join the group. Another 18-year-old Australian was successfully recruited by Isis and subsequently died in a suicide attack in Iraq.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Retired teachers brought in to mentor underperforming Eastern Cape schools
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Panayiotou trial adjourns for Monday to allow Defence to peruse phone records