SHOCKWAVE Part 4: Fear and intimidation under Motsoeneng growing – DA’s Davis

BY CHARL BOSCH - JANUARY 19, 2015

Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister for Communications, Gavin Davis, has said that a “climate of paranoia” is developing at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) under the leadership of is controversial Chief Operation Officers (COO), Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

“When the DA revealed in November that former Chairperson Ellen Tshabalala had extended Motsoeneng’s power to act as CEO, Motsoeneng summoned staff members to a meeting,” said Davis, who described the decision as “an unholy alliance between two deeply compromised individuals”.

“The DA is reliably informed that Motsoeneng accused staff members of leaking documents, before threatening that the culprits would be found and immediately dismissed”.

Davis also claims that shortly after the leaks were uncovered, Motsoeneng reportedly sent a letter to the party, accusing them of “illegally obtaining confidential SABC documents and “condoning the misconduct by some SABC employees who continue to steal information from the SABC.”

He also cited reports of SABC staff being instructed not show images of Zuma during the Economic Freedom Fighters’ (EFF) pay back the money saga in Parliament on August 21st, staff receiving emails in which they needed permission to bring guests onto news platforms, journalist barred from using analysts during Zuma’s State of the Nation address, and providing live coverage of a ANC fundraiser hosted by Zuma on January 9th, as examples of “Motsoeneng’s editorial instructions to portray President Zuma in a favourable light.”

Davis also took another swipe at Communications Minister Faith Muthambi for announcing the appointment of a new SABC board in June, but failing to implement her promise seven months later “so that Motsoeneng can act as CEO for as long as possible.”

Last week, Davis accused the minister of unlawful practises for sending out letters to certain SABC board members, asking them to provide reasons as to why they should not be suspend, citing Motsoeneng’s appointment as the key factor.

 

IMAGE sourced from www.sundayworld.co.za

 

RELATED ARTICLES:

READ MORESHOCKWAVE PART 3: MINISTER'S STATEMENTS CONTRADICTING THEMSELVES - DAVIS

READ MORESHOCKWAVE PART 2: MUTHAMBI REJECTS DA CLAIMS OF SABC INTERFERENCE

READ MORE: SHOCKWAVE PART 1: MINISTER HAS NO RIGHT TO IMPOSE SUSPENSIONS - DA

READ MOREWHITENOISE PART 3: "MOTSOENENG'S THREATS WILL NOT DETER US" - DA

READ MORE: WHITENOISE PART 2: MOTSOENENG APPOINTMENT "ASTONISHING" - DA