Six arrested, seven firearms confiscated as Operation Fiela continues

JUNE 23, 2015

Operation Fiela is making serious in-roads into the fight against crime in the Eastern Cape after six male suspects were arrested and charged for two cases of attempted murder in Flagstaff on Friday, police said.

Seven firearms were confiscated, as well as 198 rounds of ammunition and 94 empty cartridges which were picked on the crime scene during the arrest. 

This arrest follows after the arrest of a suspect in possession of a high caliber firearm during Operation Fiela conducted in Lusikisiki and Flagstaff last month. The firearm was immediately sent for ballistic testing to ascertain whether it has been previously used in the commission of crime. The firearm has since been positively linked to the shooting incidents that were committed in that area three weeks ago. 

Operation Fiela is an ongoing multi disciplinary and interdepartmental crime fighting operation made up of various government and municipal officials from SAPS, Department of Home Affairs, South African Revenue Services (SARS), South African National Defence Force (SANDF).

SAPS members are currently deployed in the Flagstaff and Lusikisiki area to continue with Operation Fiela’s efforts to eradicate crime and lawlessness in that area. 

The suspects will appear in the Flagstaff Magistrates’ Court soon facing two charges of attempted murder and illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

Eastern Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lt General Celiwe Binta welcomed the news of the arrest and congratulated the members for the breakthrough. 

“We want to send a message to anyone who is involved in perpetrating violence and crime within this province that our net is closing and we will effect more arrests to ensure that crime perpetrators are prosecuted and sentenced for their actions,” said Lt General Binta earlier on Monday.