‘Sold’ teenage girl from Mthatha in place of safety
A 15-year old girl from Ngqeleni, outside Mthatha, is now in a place of safety after the girl was allegedly sold for R10 000 by her stepmother to an older man from Ntlaza village in May.
The Grade 8 pupil was apparently walking to the local shop when she was approached and taken by the man to his home Ntlaza Village, where she was told she would be his wife.
Upon her arrival at the man’s home, the young girl was dressed in Xhosa attire and was given a new name.
Khula Community Development Project for children’s right reportedly received a tip-off in May but did not have sufficient information about the incident.
“At the time people at the school and in the community did not want to talk,” Khula director Petros Majola told the Daily Dispatch.
Majola then contacted various stakeholders dealing with the safety of children.
“In an exercise, we engaged with pupils and managed to get to the pupil concerned without attractingattention.
“She told us how she had been sent to the spaza shop where she met a man who asked for her name, as though to confirm she was the right girl. The man told her that her mother had instructed her to go with him to his home in Ntlaza village,” said the Commission on Gender Equality representative, Nceba Mrwebo.
The girl, alongside her 12-year old younger sister, was on Friday, taken by authorities to a place of safety.
She is believed not to have been harmed as she says she shared a room with her ‘husband’s’ granny.
“The girl said the granny said she was still too young to sleep with her husband,” said Mrwebo.
The children’s father, who lives in Johannesburg, remarried after their mother died years ago and they were left with their stepmother.
According to OR Tambo district Spokesperson, Nomasakhe Nonxuba, the girls were both examined by a doctor before being placed in a safe house.
The stepmother and grandmother were still to be questioned by Mthatha police.
All eyes are on the next move from President Jacob Zuma after he survived a bid from senior ANC colleagues to remove him. The fallout is expected to be focused on the economic cluster of...
A 31-year-old man is expected in court soon after he was...
A surprise donation by Airports Company of South Africa...
The sprint to the end of the year and the extended holidays...
The proposed construction of a Nuclear Power...
The South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth...
Two Nigerian nationals, aged between 37 and 43 years old...
The African Nation Congress (ANC) in the...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has advised local...
- G4S Security guards robbed, one injured in morning heist in Port Elizabeth
- The ‘voetstoots clause’: Under new Consumer Protection Act amendments, home buyers are the least protected
- SodaStream rejects gag order by the International Bottled Water Association
- Police investigating after home of notorious Port Elizabeth gangster torched
- ANC to lead march for better service delivery in Nelson Mandela Bay