South African National Eczema Association (SANEA) established
Eczema sufferers in South Africa will soon be given new hope with the launch of the country’s first formalised eczema support group. The South African National Eczema Association (SANEA) was recently established in response to a dire need for eczema sufferers to receive peer support in the management and treatment of the condition.
SANEA strives to improve the lives and health of individuals suffering from eczema, as well as their families, through support, education and research. The association aims to do this by:
- Providing a wealth of information for eczema sufferers or parents of children that suffer from eczema;
- Providing access, where possible, to quality medical advice on eczema through a network of medical professionals;
- Offering sufferers an opportunity to interact with other sufferers through a formalised support network;
- Actively educating parents and educators about eczema in order to give children the best possible experience at school; and
- Creating societal awareness about the burden that eczema has on individuals and their families.
The word ‘eczema’ was derived from the Greek word that means ‘to bubble or boil over’ and it is commonly also referred to as atopic dermatitis. Statistics show that approximately 10-20 % of children and 1-3 % of adults around the world suffer from eczema. It usually starts in childhood with about 90 % of people being diagnosed before the age of 5 years old.
Currently, the operations of the association are being driven by eczema sufferer, Lynne Niemann, and mother of a sufferer, Tanja Praetorius, with support from local dermatologists and health care givers.
Individuals who are in need of support and organisations, health care givers or health practitioners that wish to assist or contribute to the operations/funding of SANEA can contact the association as follows:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 078 320 4054
Facebook: South African National Eczema Association – SANEA
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) to send the disgraced former CEO of the power utility Eskom to parliament as the precursor to...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
THE best of Nelson Mandela Bay female boxers will feature...
With only two nights to go until the opening night of the circus...
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments