SPRINGBOKS: Malherbe sidelined for the rest of the year due to injury


Springbok prop, Frans Malherbe has been sidelined for the Castle Lager Rugby Championship until the middle of November due to a serious injury he sustained during the game against Argentina in Salta over the weekend.

Malherbe came in for Jannie du Plessis to stabilise the scrum in the 49th minute of the game, he was however, asked to leave in the 79th minute due to his injury.

According to the Supersport.com, Malherbe suffered a fractured right ankle and will undergo surgery as early as Tuesday.

Springbok’s team doctor, Craig Roberts has confirmed the injury and said that Malherbe will be out until the middle of November.

“Unluckily in the last minute of the game his ankle got caught in a ruck and he twisted it. It kind of got caught in the turf and he ended up fracturing his ankle,” said Roberts.

“It depends how well the surgery goes, but we’re looking at three months. Effectively that is the year gone for him. I was putting it into the calendar last night and it takes him into the middle of the end of the year tour, so it is the year for him,” he added.

Malherbe plans on seeing a specialist in Cape Town today and will most likely have surgery tomorrow (Tuesday).

The prop replacement will either be Lourens Adriaanse who has played for the Boks before, or Marcel van der Merwe, who played well against Scotland earlier this year.

South Africa beat Argentina in a narrow win of 33-31 on Saturday in Salta.


Photo courtesy of www.rugby15.co.za