St Francis Bay girl wins ECape SPAR Junior Chef competition 2016
After missing the entry deadline last year, young Jessica Brown made up for lost time when she won the SPAR Junior Chef competition at the Pastryworks in Fernglen, Port Elizabeth, on Wednesday.
In a display of her culinary talents, the 12-year-old from St Francis Bay made the most of her opportunity this time to edge three other finalists for the prestigious title.
For her efforts, Jessica, who attends Woodridge Prep, received a tablet and a voucher of R2 500, which she said she would save for a stand mixer.
As part of her entry recipe Jessica conjured up a tasty dish of tuna fishcakes and home-made tartare sauce.
The finalists were then required to show their initiative and coolness under pressure when they were given a mystery dish to produce. This was a recipe for chocolate marshmallow mousse and the children were given some creative leeway in how they presented the final product.
They were judged on both their entry recipe and their creation of the mystery dish.
Jessica said the most difficult part of the competition had been whisking the cream for the mystery dish, but she also had a lot of fun.
“The most fun for me is always decorating the plate and getting all the ingredients together,” she said.
The other contestants were Ronan van der Vaart from Greenwood Primary, 10, Michaela Bouwer from Sunridge Primary, 13, and Rouche Fourie from Handhaaf Primary, 11.
Now in its fourth year, the SPAR Junior Chef competition has shown remarkable growth, ensuring that the retailer’s objective of providing something fun and creative for budding chefs has been achieved.
“The aim is to try to get youngsters to enjoy cooking and to experience life in the kitchen,” said SPAR Eastern Cape promotions and advertising manager Wendy Westraadt.
“We want to encourage them to eat healthily and to develop different interests – we believe the objective has been achieved.”
She said the competition tied in with SPAR’s values of family, health, passion and entrepreneurship and the initiative gave youngsters an opportunity to build confidence.
Jessica, who admitted to being extremely nervous before the contest, said she was ecstatic to have won.
“My heart was beating so fast,” she said.
“I heard about it last year and wanted to do it, but I was too late to enter, so I have been waiting the whole year. Although nervous, I was also excited.”
Constant growth in the entry numbers over the years has convinced SPAR they are on the right track.
“With each passing year we have more entrants so we know that the interest is there,” said Westraadt. “We are looking forward to seeing where it goes next.
“We believe it’s a great chance for children to use a bit of creativity and to do something that’s fun, while also learning about nutrition and what’s healthy for your body.”
Photo 1: Enjoying a fun day at the SPAR Junior Chef competition were, from left, SPAR promotions and advertising assistant Debadene Baatjies, winner Jessica Brown, SPAR Eastern Cape promotions and advertising manager Wendy Westraadt and SPAR sponsorship controller Roseann Shadrach. Photo: Leon Hugo
Photo 2: Enjoying a fun day at the SPAR Junior Chef competition were, from left, SPAR Eastern Cape promotions and advertising manager Wendy Westraadt, SPAR promotions and advertising assistant Debadene Baatjies, Rouche Fourie, Michaela Bouwer, SA Academy of Culinary Arts chef Dion von Wielligh, Ronan van der Vaart, SPAR sponsorship controller Roseann Shadrach and Jessica Brown. Photo: Leon Hugo
Photo 3: SPAR Junior Chef champion Jessica Brown with her winning dish. Photo: Full Stop Communications
Fun times were had at The Boardwalk on Thursday all in the name of charity. Finalists for the Mr Port Elizabeth UberMANn campaign rolled people around the lake of The Boardwalk to raise funds in aid of the Association for the Physically Disabled (APD) of Nelson Mandela Bay...
As one of South Africa’s most prominent news...
KIA Motors has signed a memorandum of...
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) is the...
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth