Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa: Matt Trautman wins his first-ever race
It was a spectacular day in East London as South African, Matt Trautman, won his first ever IRONMAN 70.3 race while Britain's Jodie Swallow, won her fifth consecutive title at the eighth edition of the Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa held on Sunday.
“Following a busy week of preparations for the organisers and volunteers and fine-tuning and adjusting for the participants who filled the hotels and guesthouses, the day turned out to be another hosting success for Buffalo City,” the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality said in a statement.
Almost 3 000 competitors gathered on Orient Beach for the 1.9-kilometre ocean swim, grateful for the calmer water after the blustery easterly wind of the previous few days, followed by a 90.1-kilometre bike ride and a 21.1-kilometre run in temperatures hitting the lower 30s.
“After an epic four-hour battle between South Africans Matt Trautman and Stuart Marais, it was Trautman who won his first Ironman 70.3 title, with Marais trailing by about 90 seconds, and defending champion Bart Aernouts of Belgium having to settle for third spot,” the municipality said.
In the women's race, meanwhile, Jody Swallow of Great Britain dominated to win her fifth consecutive Ironman 70.3 South Africa in record time, followed by compatriots Susie Cheetham and Parys Edwards.
Also taking part was former Springbok rugby player and SuperSport presenter Ashwin Willemse, who was representing the Greensmile Foundation as well as the "I Play Fair" campaign of the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport.
Making up the rest of the I Play Fair team on the day were father and son Triathlon duo Danie and David De Goede, Gidon Novick of Discovery, Rowan Williams and Ronen Aires of Discovery Health, Gerhard Moolman of Land Rover, SuperSport’s Len Van Heerden, Mike Roy of City Power, and Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO Khalid Galant.
The provisional top 10 results, as supplied by www.ironman.com, were as follows:
- Matt Trautman - 04:04:34 (RSA) (first photo above)
- Stuart Marais 04:06:03 (RSA)
- Bart Aernouts - 04:11:36 (BEL)
- Cyril Viennot - 04:14:28 (FRA)
- Johannes Moldan - 04:15:57 (GER)
- Kyle Buckingham - 04:16:04 (RSA)
- Karol Dzalaj - 04:24:12 (SVK)
- Cool Hannes - 04:28:55 (BEL)
- Swen Sundberg - 04:30:57 (GER)
- Jeremy Morel - 04:38:18 (FRA)
- Jody Swallow - 04:30:53 (GBR) (second photo above)
- Susie Cheetham - 04:41:48 (GBR)
- Parys Edwards - 04:47:44 (GBR)
- Emma Bilham - 04:55:30 (SUI)
- Jeani Seymour - 05:02:02 (RSA)
- Sarah Piampiano -05:08:54 (USA)
- Andrea Steyn - 05:20:03 (RSA)
- Amy Forshaw - 05:24:42 (GBR)
- Lynette Van der Merwe - 05:28:03 (RSA)
- Linda Scattolin - 05:36:23 (ITA)
In association with Belgotex Sport – Greenfields SA, South Africa’s...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Friday advised residents in the Van Staadens / Thornhill area of a possible interruption in electricity supply on Sunday and Westering residents of a planned water supply disruption on Tuesday. The Metro said that to enable essential upgrading and...
The economic transformation discussion...
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) would...
The Master Builders Association (MBA) of Eastern Cape hosted...
Members of the Bloemfontein Flying Squad dealt a heavy...
Disgruntled Road Accident Fund (RAF) employees, who are...
Four men and woman are expected in court on Monday after...
Over much deliberation and court proceedings over Springrose...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
- Ster-Kinekor closing cinemas at Greenacres as focus shifts to premium experiences
- Seven injured after elevator plunges to the ground at Mount Road police station
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate three containers from Nigeria
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7