Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa: Matt Trautman wins his first-ever race
It was a spectacular day in East London as South African, Matt Trautman, won his first ever IRONMAN 70.3 race while Britain's Jodie Swallow, won her fifth consecutive title at the eighth edition of the Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa held on Sunday.
“Following a busy week of preparations for the organisers and volunteers and fine-tuning and adjusting for the participants who filled the hotels and guesthouses, the day turned out to be another hosting success for Buffalo City,” the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality said in a statement.
Almost 3 000 competitors gathered on Orient Beach for the 1.9-kilometre ocean swim, grateful for the calmer water after the blustery easterly wind of the previous few days, followed by a 90.1-kilometre bike ride and a 21.1-kilometre run in temperatures hitting the lower 30s.
“After an epic four-hour battle between South Africans Matt Trautman and Stuart Marais, it was Trautman who won his first Ironman 70.3 title, with Marais trailing by about 90 seconds, and defending champion Bart Aernouts of Belgium having to settle for third spot,” the municipality said.
In the women's race, meanwhile, Jody Swallow of Great Britain dominated to win her fifth consecutive Ironman 70.3 South Africa in record time, followed by compatriots Susie Cheetham and Parys Edwards.
Also taking part was former Springbok rugby player and SuperSport presenter Ashwin Willemse, who was representing the Greensmile Foundation as well as the "I Play Fair" campaign of the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport.
Making up the rest of the I Play Fair team on the day were father and son Triathlon duo Danie and David De Goede, Gidon Novick of Discovery, Rowan Williams and Ronen Aires of Discovery Health, Gerhard Moolman of Land Rover, SuperSport’s Len Van Heerden, Mike Roy of City Power, and Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO Khalid Galant.
The provisional top 10 results, as supplied by www.ironman.com, were as follows:
- Matt Trautman - 04:04:34 (RSA) (first photo above)
- Stuart Marais 04:06:03 (RSA)
- Bart Aernouts - 04:11:36 (BEL)
- Cyril Viennot - 04:14:28 (FRA)
- Johannes Moldan - 04:15:57 (GER)
- Kyle Buckingham - 04:16:04 (RSA)
- Karol Dzalaj - 04:24:12 (SVK)
- Cool Hannes - 04:28:55 (BEL)
- Swen Sundberg - 04:30:57 (GER)
- Jeremy Morel - 04:38:18 (FRA)
- Jody Swallow - 04:30:53 (GBR) (second photo above)
- Susie Cheetham - 04:41:48 (GBR)
- Parys Edwards - 04:47:44 (GBR)
- Emma Bilham - 04:55:30 (SUI)
- Jeani Seymour - 05:02:02 (RSA)
- Sarah Piampiano -05:08:54 (USA)
- Andrea Steyn - 05:20:03 (RSA)
- Amy Forshaw - 05:24:42 (GBR)
- Lynette Van der Merwe - 05:28:03 (RSA)
- Linda Scattolin - 05:36:23 (ITA)
Fun times were had at The Boardwalk on Thursday all in the name of charity. Finalists for the Mr Port Elizabeth UberMANn campaign rolled people around the lake of The Boardwalk to raise funds in aid of the Association for the Physically Disabled (APD) of Nelson Mandela Bay...
As one of South Africa’s most prominent news...
KIA Motors has signed a memorandum of...
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) is the...
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth