Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa: Matt Trautman wins his first-ever race
It was a spectacular day in East London as South African, Matt Trautman, won his first ever IRONMAN 70.3 race while Britain's Jodie Swallow, won her fifth consecutive title at the eighth edition of the Standard Bank Ironman 70.3 South Africa held on Sunday.
“Following a busy week of preparations for the organisers and volunteers and fine-tuning and adjusting for the participants who filled the hotels and guesthouses, the day turned out to be another hosting success for Buffalo City,” the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality said in a statement.
Almost 3 000 competitors gathered on Orient Beach for the 1.9-kilometre ocean swim, grateful for the calmer water after the blustery easterly wind of the previous few days, followed by a 90.1-kilometre bike ride and a 21.1-kilometre run in temperatures hitting the lower 30s.
“After an epic four-hour battle between South Africans Matt Trautman and Stuart Marais, it was Trautman who won his first Ironman 70.3 title, with Marais trailing by about 90 seconds, and defending champion Bart Aernouts of Belgium having to settle for third spot,” the municipality said.
In the women's race, meanwhile, Jody Swallow of Great Britain dominated to win her fifth consecutive Ironman 70.3 South Africa in record time, followed by compatriots Susie Cheetham and Parys Edwards.
Also taking part was former Springbok rugby player and SuperSport presenter Ashwin Willemse, who was representing the Greensmile Foundation as well as the "I Play Fair" campaign of the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport.
Making up the rest of the I Play Fair team on the day were father and son Triathlon duo Danie and David De Goede, Gidon Novick of Discovery, Rowan Williams and Ronen Aires of Discovery Health, Gerhard Moolman of Land Rover, SuperSport’s Len Van Heerden, Mike Roy of City Power, and Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO Khalid Galant.
The provisional top 10 results, as supplied by www.ironman.com, were as follows:
- Matt Trautman - 04:04:34 (RSA) (first photo above)
- Stuart Marais 04:06:03 (RSA)
- Bart Aernouts - 04:11:36 (BEL)
- Cyril Viennot - 04:14:28 (FRA)
- Johannes Moldan - 04:15:57 (GER)
- Kyle Buckingham - 04:16:04 (RSA)
- Karol Dzalaj - 04:24:12 (SVK)
- Cool Hannes - 04:28:55 (BEL)
- Swen Sundberg - 04:30:57 (GER)
- Jeremy Morel - 04:38:18 (FRA)
- Jody Swallow - 04:30:53 (GBR) (second photo above)
- Susie Cheetham - 04:41:48 (GBR)
- Parys Edwards - 04:47:44 (GBR)
- Emma Bilham - 04:55:30 (SUI)
- Jeani Seymour - 05:02:02 (RSA)
- Sarah Piampiano -05:08:54 (USA)
- Andrea Steyn - 05:20:03 (RSA)
- Amy Forshaw - 05:24:42 (GBR)
- Lynette Van der Merwe - 05:28:03 (RSA)
- Linda Scattolin - 05:36:23 (ITA)
Sergeant Kayeni Malila, of Motherwell SAPS, was recognised...
All three suspects, including a teenager, who are alleged to...
The members of African Drumbeat attended the...
Jet Club in partnership with Educor launched...
Ah, salt. We love its taste and yearn to use it liberally in our...
The New Year has begun and for many this is a time to...
A 33-year-old woman is expected in court on Monday after...
Eastern Cape police on Friday appealed to the public for...
Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown has instructed Eskom...
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Eastern...
- Case against men who kidnapped woman outside Peddie court and murdered her postponed
- First cop on scene after elderly American couple is hijacked recognised
- Two killed after gunmen open fire at family, police appeal for leads
- Busted! Lusikisiki cop appears in court for demanding R1 500 bribe from driver at accident
- Kouga Local Municipality was 'packed with holidaymakers' over festive season: Mayor