Steenkamps respond on Pistorius payments


On Wednesday, Reeva Steenkamp's parents and their lawyer said they were surprised that a confidential agreement was disclosed in the High Court in Pretoria during paralympian Oscar Pistorius's sentencing.

"We were... quite surprised yesterday when this fact was disclosed in court without any prior warning to us," PJ de Bruyn SC, for the Steenkamps, said in a statement.

"The fact that the matter had been kept confidential at the request of Mr Pistorius's legal advisers, has also not been placed on record."

De Bruyn said Steenkamps parents, June and Barry Steenkamp, were in financial difficulties after their daughter was shot dead at Pistorius's home in February last year.

"This was mentioned to Mr Pistorius's lawyers during discussions in regard to a possible civil claim by the parents," he said.

"We were contacted soon afterwards by Mr Pistorius's lawyers with an offer that Mr Pistorius would contribute an amount of R6 000 per month towards the parents' rental and living expenses."

The payments apparently took place from March 2013 until September this year.

"When the offer was made during March 2013, we, on behalf of the parents, thought that it would only be fair to Mr Pistorius that the public should know this.

"The request of Mr Pistorius, conveyed through his lawyers, however was that the matter be kept confidential. We have honoured this request."

De Bruyn said the Steenkamps intended to repay the amount to Pistorius as soon as arrangements can be made.