Steenkamps say they stand by previous objection to Oscar Pistorius parole

OCTOBER 9, 2015

Reeva Steenkamp's family on Friday reportedly said that they would not be appearing before the Oscar Pistorius Parole Board and they they stand by their earlier submission that releasing the former Paralympian, after just 10 months of his five-year sentence, would send the wrong message about the justice system.

This is after the Parole Board had again postponed his parole hearing until 21 October to allow time for submissions from the Steenkamp family.

In their submission, Barry and June Steenkamp had said: “We have forgiven Mr Pistorius even though he took the life of our precious daughter, Reeva. Our lives will never be the same as we live with the sadness of her death every day.

“Reeva had so much to offer this world and we were all robbed of her life when she was killed. As her family, we do not seek to avenge her death and we do not want Mr Pistorius to suffer; that will not bring her back to us.

"However, a person found guilty of a crime must be held accountable for their actions.”

The Steenkamps added: “Statistics show that our society is under continuous attack from criminals and murderers. Incarceration of 10 months for taking a life is simply not enough. We fear that this will not send out the proper message and serve as the deterrent it should.”

Still, the same Parole Board had overruled that plea and scheduled pistorius for release under correctional supervision for 21 August.

Only at the eleventh hour, did Justice Minister, Michael Masutha, postpon his release and refferred the matter to the Parole Review Board arguing that the decision had been made prematurely.