Still no investigation into R3.8 billion wasted in OR Tambo District: DA

NOVEMBER 14, 2016

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape on Monday revealed that no action has yet been taken after it was revealed last month that the OR Tambo District Municipality spent over R3.8 billion in unauthorised, irregular, fruitless and wasteful expenditure during the 2014/15 financial year.

"The report revealed that R2.2 billion was spent on unauthorised expenditure and R1.6 billion in irregular expenditure, with a further R24.2 million on fruitless and wasteful expenditure," said Thembalihle Xhangayi, a DA PR Councillor in the OR Tambo District Municipality.

"This is a serious violation of section 32 and 71 of Municipal Finance Management Act, of 2003 and the ANC run municipality is not prioritising the investigation of this matter."

Xhangayi said that, to date, the adhoc committee established to further investigate the speaker’s findings has not sat for a meeting.

"The lack of urgency from ANC councillors to call our first adhoc committee meeting is proof of a municipality that does not put the needs of the people first," he added.

Xhangayi said residents deserve a commitment to protecting public money, "instead of the ANC approach of enormous waste, and enrichment without consequences".

"I will continue to raise the importance of this investigation in each and every council meeting until those responsible for this financial crisis are held accountable."