Supreme Court dismisses Bob Hewitt's application to appeal six-year jail sentence

JUNE 9, 2016

Convicted rapist and former tennis champion, Bob Hewitt, who resides on a farm outside Port Elizabeth, now faces jail time after the application to appeal his six-year sentence was dismissed by the Supreme Court of Appeal on Thursday.

Hewitt, a former Grand Slam champion, was found guilty of raping Theresa "Twiggy" Tolken and Suellen Sheehan in the 1980s and of sexually assaulting a third woman, who may not be named, in the 1990s. He was their tennis coach at the time.

The 75 year-old was sentenced, in effect, to six years in jail. However, the High Court gave him leave to appeal his sentence but not his conviction. 

High hopes dashed

Last year, Hewitt's lawyer, Alwyn Griebeno, told the SABC that new evidence could sway the SCA to reconsider and permit Hewitt to appeal the conviction.  

Legal expert Lleyellyn Curlewis reportedly told the public broadcaster that if indeed the contents of the document were proven to be true, the three women could possibly be charged with perjury.

Meanwhile, News24 reported on Tuesday that the Women and Men Against Child Abuse group, which had called for justice to be served against Hewitt, rejected the allegations of collusion.

It said the report was part of a tactic by the former tennis star’s lawyers to discredit his victims.

EWN reported that National Prosecuting Authority had also rejected the claims, stating there was no basis for the allegations.

Meanwhile, the Boston Globe reported on Friday that Hewitt was ordered to pay $1.2m to Heather Crowe Connor, a woman from the US state of Massachusetts whom he allegedly sexually abused in the 1970s. He was also her tennis coach.

Related: MORE TROUBLES FOR BOB HEWITT AS ANOTHER VICTIM COMES FORWARD