Team SA Rio 2016 Olympics update: Wednesday
Unfortunately, Team South Africa on Tuesday did not manage to win any new medals. Those, who competed, fell just a little short of qualifying during their heats.
Chad Ho barely missed earning the Bronze medal for the Men’s 10km swimming marathon while Men’s 200m athletes, Anaso Jobodwana, Tloliso Leotlela and Clarence Munyai, did not manage to get past their heats.
In the Women’s 400m Hurdles, Wenda Nel was just a few seconds shy from making it to the finals, finishing in sixth place.
Women’s Long Jump competitor, Lynique Prinsloo, failed to pass the qualifying distance, finishing 16th with 6.10m.
For the Women’s kayaking 200m sprints, Bridgitte Hartley finished 5th in her race.
In the Men’s 400m Hurdles Semi-Finals, L.J. van Zyl managed to finish 5th, but would have needed to finish in the top two to grab an automatic spot for the finals.
In Sailing for the Men’s 470 class, competitors, Asenathi Jim and Roger Hudson, earned the 20th spot overall in an extremely long and difficult race.
South Africa’s saving grace, however, was Sunette Viljoen in the Women’s Javelin Throw. She managed to throw at a distance of 63.54 metres, which earned her an automatic qualification.
Team SA’s ranking has since dropped slightly from 31st to 32nd.
SA competitors for Wednesday
- Women’s Individual Golf – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Single Kayak single (canoe sprints) 500m – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Women's 800m - Caster Semenya;
- Men’s Decathlon (100m, 400m, long jump, high jump, shot put) – Willem Coertzen;
- Men’s 5000m – Elroy Gelant; and
- Cycling BMX – Kyle Dodd.
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Rocco van Rooyen.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Chamber of Business on Wednesday said that it welcomes the "balancing act" Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan, has managed during his 2017 National Budget Speech...
The Healthy Living Alliance (HEALA) welcomes...
Aldm Melvin Naik, the first citizen of George, congratulated...
VICTORY entertainment, a new record label formed in Nelson...
Fans of authentic South African comedy will be pleased...
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has announced a number...
The luxury SUV was created in 1970 when Land Rover...
As many pundits predicted, the Minister of Finance...
A 24-year-old Dutywa man, Lwazi Dlisani, briefly appeared...
- Port Elizabeth police seek public's assistance in locating rape suspect
- Angry taxi drivers block off NMMU Missionvale Campus entrance over shuttle service
- The Great Moscow Circus Big Top Goes Up at The Boardwalk!!
- Two alleged gangsters arrested just after shooting dead Bethelsdorp man
- Replacing Pravin Gordhan, or his deputy, would carry a heavy cost