Team SA Rio 2016 Olympics update: Wednesday
Unfortunately, Team South Africa on Tuesday did not manage to win any new medals. Those, who competed, fell just a little short of qualifying during their heats.
Chad Ho barely missed earning the Bronze medal for the Men’s 10km swimming marathon while Men’s 200m athletes, Anaso Jobodwana, Tloliso Leotlela and Clarence Munyai, did not manage to get past their heats.
In the Women’s 400m Hurdles, Wenda Nel was just a few seconds shy from making it to the finals, finishing in sixth place.
Women’s Long Jump competitor, Lynique Prinsloo, failed to pass the qualifying distance, finishing 16th with 6.10m.
For the Women’s kayaking 200m sprints, Bridgitte Hartley finished 5th in her race.
In the Men’s 400m Hurdles Semi-Finals, L.J. van Zyl managed to finish 5th, but would have needed to finish in the top two to grab an automatic spot for the finals.
In Sailing for the Men’s 470 class, competitors, Asenathi Jim and Roger Hudson, earned the 20th spot overall in an extremely long and difficult race.
South Africa’s saving grace, however, was Sunette Viljoen in the Women’s Javelin Throw. She managed to throw at a distance of 63.54 metres, which earned her an automatic qualification.
Team SA’s ranking has since dropped slightly from 31st to 32nd.
SA competitors for Wednesday
- Women’s Individual Golf – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Single Kayak single (canoe sprints) 500m – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Women's 800m - Caster Semenya;
- Men’s Decathlon (100m, 400m, long jump, high jump, shot put) – Willem Coertzen;
- Men’s 5000m – Elroy Gelant; and
- Cycling BMX – Kyle Dodd.
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Rocco van Rooyen.
Port Elizabeth’s Central area is ripe for the kind of inner city...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Sunday welcomed the Competition Commission’s (CC) decision to take up its request to investigate the alleged anti-competitive conduct of Aspen Pharmacare, on its preliminary investigation into the ...
A 24-year-old Willowvale man is expected in court on Monday...
A long-term partnership aimed at addressing the myriad...
It was smooth sailing at Rhodes University in Grahamstown...
Walter Sisulu University will launch the first of a series of WSU...
The newly formed Freedom Movement will this week show...
The Presidency has announced that President Jacob Zuma...
A late Friday evening Metro Police, Internal Audit and...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday said it will write...
- President Zuma to bestow 2017 National Orders Awards
- Metro cops seize laptops from officials after irregular payments
- Over 2 400 capped during Rhodes University's 2017 graduation ceremonies
- Will the Freedom Movement pull it off without Save South Africa?
- VIDEO: Marchers descend on Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court for Pastor Tim Omotoso appearance