Team SA Rio 2016 Olympics update: Wednesday
Unfortunately, Team South Africa on Tuesday did not manage to win any new medals. Those, who competed, fell just a little short of qualifying during their heats.
Chad Ho barely missed earning the Bronze medal for the Men’s 10km swimming marathon while Men’s 200m athletes, Anaso Jobodwana, Tloliso Leotlela and Clarence Munyai, did not manage to get past their heats.
In the Women’s 400m Hurdles, Wenda Nel was just a few seconds shy from making it to the finals, finishing in sixth place.
Women’s Long Jump competitor, Lynique Prinsloo, failed to pass the qualifying distance, finishing 16th with 6.10m.
For the Women’s kayaking 200m sprints, Bridgitte Hartley finished 5th in her race.
In the Men’s 400m Hurdles Semi-Finals, L.J. van Zyl managed to finish 5th, but would have needed to finish in the top two to grab an automatic spot for the finals.
In Sailing for the Men’s 470 class, competitors, Asenathi Jim and Roger Hudson, earned the 20th spot overall in an extremely long and difficult race.
South Africa’s saving grace, however, was Sunette Viljoen in the Women’s Javelin Throw. She managed to throw at a distance of 63.54 metres, which earned her an automatic qualification.
Team SA’s ranking has since dropped slightly from 31st to 32nd.
SA competitors for Wednesday
- Women’s Individual Golf – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Single Kayak single (canoe sprints) 500m – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Women's 800m - Caster Semenya;
- Men’s Decathlon (100m, 400m, long jump, high jump, shot put) – Willem Coertzen;
- Men’s 5000m – Elroy Gelant; and
- Cycling BMX – Kyle Dodd.
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Rocco van Rooyen.
The Tsomo Regional Court on Monday convicted and...
A number of players of different age groups availed...
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) on Wednesday welcomed the Consulate General Kang Yong of the People’s Republic of China at the Coega IDZ...
What a hot day. Maximum day temperatures in...
The Road Traffic Infringement Agency (RTIA) is to implement...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape has...
The Coega Development Corporation...
The Willowvale Regional Magistrate's Court on Tuesday...
A 24-year-old Ngqamakhwe woman is expected in court on...
When a timeous response is needed to any-size disaster - be it...
- 24-year-old woman arrested for possession of illegal firearm and ammunition
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- Man handed lengthy jail sentence for mystery 2016 murder
- Veld fire conditions and extreme heat forecast for parts of Eastern Cape
- Xtreme Projects: emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, neither do we!