Team SA Rio 2016 Olympics update: Wednesday
Unfortunately, Team South Africa on Tuesday did not manage to win any new medals. Those, who competed, fell just a little short of qualifying during their heats.
Chad Ho barely missed earning the Bronze medal for the Men’s 10km swimming marathon while Men’s 200m athletes, Anaso Jobodwana, Tloliso Leotlela and Clarence Munyai, did not manage to get past their heats.
In the Women’s 400m Hurdles, Wenda Nel was just a few seconds shy from making it to the finals, finishing in sixth place.
Women’s Long Jump competitor, Lynique Prinsloo, failed to pass the qualifying distance, finishing 16th with 6.10m.
For the Women’s kayaking 200m sprints, Bridgitte Hartley finished 5th in her race.
In the Men’s 400m Hurdles Semi-Finals, L.J. van Zyl managed to finish 5th, but would have needed to finish in the top two to grab an automatic spot for the finals.
In Sailing for the Men’s 470 class, competitors, Asenathi Jim and Roger Hudson, earned the 20th spot overall in an extremely long and difficult race.
South Africa’s saving grace, however, was Sunette Viljoen in the Women’s Javelin Throw. She managed to throw at a distance of 63.54 metres, which earned her an automatic qualification.
Team SA’s ranking has since dropped slightly from 31st to 32nd.
SA competitors for Wednesday
- Women’s Individual Golf – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Single Kayak single (canoe sprints) 500m – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Women's 800m - Caster Semenya;
- Men’s Decathlon (100m, 400m, long jump, high jump, shot put) – Willem Coertzen;
- Men’s 5000m – Elroy Gelant; and
- Cycling BMX – Kyle Dodd.
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Rocco van Rooyen.
The South African Weather Services on Saturday morning again warned that very hot weather conditions and high discomfort levels are expected in most parts of the Eastern Cape throughout the day. Veld Fire Conditions are expected over the...
Public hearings on the Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
All eyes are on the next move from President Jacob...
A 31-year-old man is expected in court soon after he was...
A surprise donation by Airports Company of South Africa...
The sprint to the end of the year and the extended holidays...
The proposed construction of a Nuclear Power...
The South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth...
Two Nigerian nationals, aged between 37 and 43 years old...
- The ‘voetstoots clause’: Under new Consumer Protection Act amendments, home buyers are the least protected
- ANC-led march demands better service delivery from Nelson Mandela Bay’s DA-led coalition
- Council gives nod to water restrictions and punitive tariffs, taps dry out in Western suburbs
- Very hot and uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
- Two Nigerian nationals busted with drugs worth R630 000 in Grahamstown