Team SA Rio 2016 Olympics update: Wednesday
Unfortunately, Team South Africa on Tuesday did not manage to win any new medals. Those, who competed, fell just a little short of qualifying during their heats.
Chad Ho barely missed earning the Bronze medal for the Men’s 10km swimming marathon while Men’s 200m athletes, Anaso Jobodwana, Tloliso Leotlela and Clarence Munyai, did not manage to get past their heats.
In the Women’s 400m Hurdles, Wenda Nel was just a few seconds shy from making it to the finals, finishing in sixth place.
Women’s Long Jump competitor, Lynique Prinsloo, failed to pass the qualifying distance, finishing 16th with 6.10m.
For the Women’s kayaking 200m sprints, Bridgitte Hartley finished 5th in her race.
In the Men’s 400m Hurdles Semi-Finals, L.J. van Zyl managed to finish 5th, but would have needed to finish in the top two to grab an automatic spot for the finals.
In Sailing for the Men’s 470 class, competitors, Asenathi Jim and Roger Hudson, earned the 20th spot overall in an extremely long and difficult race.
South Africa’s saving grace, however, was Sunette Viljoen in the Women’s Javelin Throw. She managed to throw at a distance of 63.54 metres, which earned her an automatic qualification.
Team SA’s ranking has since dropped slightly from 31st to 32nd.
SA competitors for Wednesday
- Women’s Individual Golf – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Single Kayak single (canoe sprints) 500m – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Women's 800m - Caster Semenya;
- Men’s Decathlon (100m, 400m, long jump, high jump, shot put) – Willem Coertzen;
- Men’s 5000m – Elroy Gelant; and
- Cycling BMX – Kyle Dodd.
- Men’s Javelin Throw – Rocco van Rooyen.
The South African Communist Party (SACP) Buffalo City Region on Thursday led a march to demand fair allocation of subsidized RDP housing and better service delivery from the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality as well as the Eastern Cape Department of Education, Eastern Cape Department of Health and the South African Police Services (SAPS)...
In the final crunch of the Momentum One-Day Cup...
Ster-Kinekor says its cinema complex at The Bridge shopping...
Nelson Mandela Bay residents, and visitors to the friendly...
A police task team on Thursday arrested seven men, aged...
The African National Congress' (ANC) new Nelson Mandela...
More than 30 final year students whose hopes of finishing...
With the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Council's...
African Drumbeat did Interactive Drumming & Zulu...
Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism, in partnership with...
- Seven injured after elevator plunges to the ground at Mount Road police station
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7
- Man who raped girl at Dora Nginza Hospital expected to apply for bail
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate three containers from Nigeria
- Prosecutors deciding on case of woman who killed brother she alleges raped her for years