Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – A good weekend for SA
It was a great weekend for Team South Africa at the Rio 2016 Paralympics as we managed to gain not only two gold medals, but two silver medals and one bronze medal, thus putting South Africa in 16th place on the medal board.
On Saturday, Hilton Langenhoven managed to redeem himself for his disqualification in the Men’s 400m, by earning a gold medal in the Men’s Long Jump.
On Sunday, South Africa clinched another gold medal as Charl du Toit ran into first place in the Men’s 100m, T37 classification. Not only did he win a gold medal, Du Toit managed to beat a World Record with a time of 11.42. In the same race was South Africa’s Fanie van der Merwe, who managed to place third and earn a bronze medal, the very first for South Africa.
Earning South Africa their first silver medals were Ilse Hayes in the Women’s 100m, T13 classification, and Paralympic newcomer, 14-year old Ntando Mahlangu in the Men’s 200m, T42 classification.
For the rowing team, South Africa’s Sandra Khumalo was close to grabbing third place for the AS Women’s tx but only managed to get 4th. And the mixed 4+ team of Willie Morgan, Shannon Murray, Lucy Perold, Dylan Trollope and Dieter Rosslee only got 5th.
South Africa’s only shooting competitor Khone von Zeuner unfortunately did not managed to place high enough to qualify for the finals in Precision or Rapid shooting, placing 27th and 20th.
Chantel Stierman placed 6th in the Bench Press, PO09 classification in the 61kg division for weightlifting.
Paralympic veteran Philippa Johnson only managed to place 5th in the Equestrian Dressage qualification, failing to qualify for the finals.
Kevin Paul placed 4th in the 200m Individual Medley heats, which allowed him to make it through to the 8-man finals.
SA competitors for Monday
- Alani Ferreira – Women’s 400m Freestlye, S13 classification;
- Henri Herbst – Men’s 50m Freestlye, S11 classification;
- Achmat Hassiem – Men’s 100m Butterfly, S10 classification and;
- Emily Gray – 100m Freestlye, S9 classification.
- Liezel Gouws – Women’s 400m, T37 classification;
- Dyan Buis – Men’s 100m, T38 classification and;
- Tyrone Pillay – Men’s Shot Put Final, F42 classification.
- Lucas Sithole – Quad’s singles mixed, WT13-16 classification.
Picture of Mahlangu and his silver medal courtesy of Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Goods worth R52 000 recovered after detectives track down housebreaking suspect via stolen phone
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- Alleged Upstand Dogs gang member arrested after appearing at court to support fellow gangsters
- Armed hijackers who shot at police slapped with a combined 120 years behind bars