Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – It’s raining Bronze, Silver and Gold!
It was an excellent day for Team South Africa in Rio on Thursday, as we not only secured another bronze medal, but one silver and two gold medals as well, officially bringing our medal tally up to 13, and placing South Africa 20th on the medal board.
Ernst van Dyk, Paralympic veteran, cycled his way to gold in the Men’s Road Race finals, he has stated that this will be the last Paralympic he will compete in, and winning gold is a great way to conclude his competitive hand cycling career.
The second gold medal was won by Reinhardt Hammen in the Men’s Javelin Throw, F38 classification. A win he dedicated to his late father who died earlier this year.
As for the silver medal, Paralympic runner Ndondomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu won the silver in the Men’s 100m, T12 classification. He will be competing in the 200m heats later on Friday.
The bronze was secured by Dyan Buis in the Men’s Long Jump, T38 classification.
The rest of the athletes that competed on Thursday were close to earning medals themselves, but just barely missed them.
Teenaged newbie and silver medallist Ntando Mahlungu, placed 5th in the Men’s 100m, T42 classification.
Chenelle van Zyl was especially close to the bronze in the Women’s Shot Put, F34 classification, but ended up placing 4th.
Louzanne Coetzee had finished 3rd in her 1500m heats, T11 classification, but was disqualified due to guide technicalities.
Henri Herbst finished 4th in the Men’s 100m Freestyle, S11 classification, while Justine Asher finished 12th in the Women’s Road Race Finals, H2-4 classification.
Runners Charl du Toit and Anruné Liebenberg have made it through to their finals, the Men’s 400m and the Women’s 200m.
SA Competitors for Friday
- Emily Gray – Women’s 100m Backstroke, S9 classification.
- Dyan Buis – Men’s 400m heats, T38 classification;
- Ndodomzi (Jonathan) Ntutu – Men’s 200m heats, T12 classification;
- Hilton Langenhoven – Men’s 200m heats, T12 classification;
- Charl du Toit – Men’s 400m finals, T37 classification; and
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 200m finals, T47 classification.
- Craig Ridgard – Men’s Road Race, C1-3 classification; and
- Goldy Fuchs – Men’s Road Race, T1-2 classification.
- Philippa Johnson – Individual Freestyle Test (Dressage).
Chippa United would feel more at ease after much...
The Back to Basics approach adopted by Eastern Cape police is bearing fruit as 'good old fashioned police work' resulted in the arrest of 821 suspects and the seizure of 28 illegal firearms in the past week alone, says Easter Cape SAPS Provincial ...
Let’s be honest, whoever came up with the idea...
Steven Berg, a fibre artisan and reality TV star...
The Eastern Province Rugby Union Grand Challenge resumed again...
Three robbery suspects were arrested within 25 minutes of...
Several disruptive operations that were conducted over the...
Hawkers at East London's popular hang-out spot, Ebuhlanti...
Each month, uShaka Marine World’s Wahooz on...
- Metro cops seize laptops from officials after irregular payments
- Time for Port Elizabeth's 'sleeping giant' to wake up to UDZ rebates
- President Zuma to bestow 2017 National Orders Awards
- Will the Freedom Movement pull it off without Save South Africa?
- East London woman scarred for life after horror abortion at illegal clinic