Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – SA finishes on a golden note
The Rio 2016 Paralympics officially ended this past weekend, and Team SA did not disappoint in their final events, with two more gold medals, and two silvers making their way to the table.
Charl du Toit won his second gold medal in Rio in the Men’s 400m, T37 classification, the only competitor to win two gold medals in this year’s Paralympics.
The second gold medal was won by Dyan Buis in the Men’s 400m, T38 classification; after winning a bronze in the Men’s Long Jump earlier in the week. Buis also managed to set a new Paralympic record for the 400m in the process.
Hilton Langenhoven managed to grab the silver medal in the Men’s 200m, T12 classification, after winning the gold for Long Jump earlier in the week.
Ilse Hayes added a second silver to her medal count for the Women’s 100m, T13 classification.
In the end, South Africa finished 22nd on the medal table for this year’s Paralympics, with 17 medals in total.
In the London Paralympics, South Africa finished 18th on the medal table, with 29 medals in total.
Here are Team South Africa’s medal winners for 2016
- Kevin Paul – Gold medal, Men’s 100m Breaststroke;
- Ntando Mahlungu – Silver medal, Men’s 200m;
- Fanie van der Merwe – Bronze medal, Men’s 100m;
- Tyrone Pillay – Bronze medal, Shot Put;
- Zanele Situ – Bronze medal, Javelin Throw;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Silver medal, Women’s 400m;
- Ernst van Dyk – Gold medal, Cycling – Men’s Road Race;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Gold medal, Javelin Throw;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Silver medal, Men’s 100m;
- Charl du Toit – 2X Gold medals, Men’s 100m and 400m;
- Ilse Hayes – 2X Silver medals, Women’s 400m and 100m;
- Hilton Langenhoven – Gold medal, Long Jump and Silver medal, Men’s 200m; and
- Dyan Buis – Bronze medal, Long Jump and Gold medal, Men’s 400m.
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) to send the disgraced former CEO of the power utility Eskom to parliament as the precursor to...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
THE best of Nelson Mandela Bay female boxers will feature...
With only two nights to go until the opening night of the circus...
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments