Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – SA finishes on a golden note
The Rio 2016 Paralympics officially ended this past weekend, and Team SA did not disappoint in their final events, with two more gold medals, and two silvers making their way to the table.
Charl du Toit won his second gold medal in Rio in the Men’s 400m, T37 classification, the only competitor to win two gold medals in this year’s Paralympics.
The second gold medal was won by Dyan Buis in the Men’s 400m, T38 classification; after winning a bronze in the Men’s Long Jump earlier in the week. Buis also managed to set a new Paralympic record for the 400m in the process.
Hilton Langenhoven managed to grab the silver medal in the Men’s 200m, T12 classification, after winning the gold for Long Jump earlier in the week.
Ilse Hayes added a second silver to her medal count for the Women’s 100m, T13 classification.
In the end, South Africa finished 22nd on the medal table for this year’s Paralympics, with 17 medals in total.
In the London Paralympics, South Africa finished 18th on the medal table, with 29 medals in total.
Here are Team South Africa’s medal winners for 2016
- Kevin Paul – Gold medal, Men’s 100m Breaststroke;
- Ntando Mahlungu – Silver medal, Men’s 200m;
- Fanie van der Merwe – Bronze medal, Men’s 100m;
- Tyrone Pillay – Bronze medal, Shot Put;
- Zanele Situ – Bronze medal, Javelin Throw;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Silver medal, Women’s 400m;
- Ernst van Dyk – Gold medal, Cycling – Men’s Road Race;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Gold medal, Javelin Throw;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Silver medal, Men’s 100m;
- Charl du Toit – 2X Gold medals, Men’s 100m and 400m;
- Ilse Hayes – 2X Silver medals, Women’s 400m and 100m;
- Hilton Langenhoven – Gold medal, Long Jump and Silver medal, Men’s 200m; and
- Dyan Buis – Bronze medal, Long Jump and Gold medal, Men’s 400m.
Stormers and Springboks lock-forward, Pieter-Steph du Toit, has earned...
National Treasury on Wednesday announced the launch...
Police in Willowvale have appealed to the public for assistance with their investigations after a 52-year-old woman was allegedly raped in her homestead at Ntlabane Village, Kulokhala Locality...
Just under 62% of people in Nelson Mandela Bay own...
Bloemfontein Celtic managed to succumb to a goalless 0-0...
Police in Willowvale have launched an investigation...
Most of you reading this will probably know at...
A shocking report, tabled to Kouga’s new Mayoral Committee, reveals that only 4% of the municipality’s vehicles are in a good condition and fully operational. This amounts to only eight of the 220 vehicles in the entire fleet...
A man, who was arrested by Port Elizabeth police on...
Grahamstown public order police officers on Tuesday...
- TRUMPED! A home owner can be evicted as an unlawful occupier
- Port Elizabeth man arrested in connection with mystery murder at Pine Lodge Resort
- Kouga Municipality to clamp down on illegal car guards
- Panayiotou trial day 10 – Defence claims state ambushed them
- Volunteer campaign to support NMMU’s students launched