Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – SA finishes on a golden note
The Rio 2016 Paralympics officially ended this past weekend, and Team SA did not disappoint in their final events, with two more gold medals, and two silvers making their way to the table.
Charl du Toit won his second gold medal in Rio in the Men’s 400m, T37 classification, the only competitor to win two gold medals in this year’s Paralympics.
The second gold medal was won by Dyan Buis in the Men’s 400m, T38 classification; after winning a bronze in the Men’s Long Jump earlier in the week. Buis also managed to set a new Paralympic record for the 400m in the process.
Hilton Langenhoven managed to grab the silver medal in the Men’s 200m, T12 classification, after winning the gold for Long Jump earlier in the week.
Ilse Hayes added a second silver to her medal count for the Women’s 100m, T13 classification.
In the end, South Africa finished 22nd on the medal table for this year’s Paralympics, with 17 medals in total.
In the London Paralympics, South Africa finished 18th on the medal table, with 29 medals in total.
Here are Team South Africa’s medal winners for 2016
- Kevin Paul – Gold medal, Men’s 100m Breaststroke;
- Ntando Mahlungu – Silver medal, Men’s 200m;
- Fanie van der Merwe – Bronze medal, Men’s 100m;
- Tyrone Pillay – Bronze medal, Shot Put;
- Zanele Situ – Bronze medal, Javelin Throw;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Silver medal, Women’s 400m;
- Ernst van Dyk – Gold medal, Cycling – Men’s Road Race;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Gold medal, Javelin Throw;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Silver medal, Men’s 100m;
- Charl du Toit – 2X Gold medals, Men’s 100m and 400m;
- Ilse Hayes – 2X Silver medals, Women’s 400m and 100m;
- Hilton Langenhoven – Gold medal, Long Jump and Silver medal, Men’s 200m; and
- Dyan Buis – Bronze medal, Long Jump and Gold medal, Men’s 400m.
When a timeous response is needed to any-size disaster - be it...
The George Municipality on Wednesday advised local residents...
Early in January, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) announced the appointment of Dr Randall Jonas as...
The South African Weather Services on Wednesday morning...
The effects of a sovereign credit rating downgrade would be...
Notice is hereby given that the electricity supply...
Scores of new students and their parents are set to descend...
An enthusiastic team of 30 champions have been...
Pearson High School hosted fellow PE rivals, Grey High...
- Ford Kugas Burning: Early data shows lack of coolant circulation is the cause says Ford SA
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Case against New Year's Day rape accused postponed to Thursday
- Over 61 800 speeding tickets issued in Bay during summer season