Team SA Rio 2016 Paralympics – SA finishes on a golden note
The Rio 2016 Paralympics officially ended this past weekend, and Team SA did not disappoint in their final events, with two more gold medals, and two silvers making their way to the table.
Charl du Toit won his second gold medal in Rio in the Men’s 400m, T37 classification, the only competitor to win two gold medals in this year’s Paralympics.
The second gold medal was won by Dyan Buis in the Men’s 400m, T38 classification; after winning a bronze in the Men’s Long Jump earlier in the week. Buis also managed to set a new Paralympic record for the 400m in the process.
Hilton Langenhoven managed to grab the silver medal in the Men’s 200m, T12 classification, after winning the gold for Long Jump earlier in the week.
Ilse Hayes added a second silver to her medal count for the Women’s 100m, T13 classification.
In the end, South Africa finished 22nd on the medal table for this year’s Paralympics, with 17 medals in total.
In the London Paralympics, South Africa finished 18th on the medal table, with 29 medals in total.
Here are Team South Africa’s medal winners for 2016
- Kevin Paul – Gold medal, Men’s 100m Breaststroke;
- Ntando Mahlungu – Silver medal, Men’s 200m;
- Fanie van der Merwe – Bronze medal, Men’s 100m;
- Tyrone Pillay – Bronze medal, Shot Put;
- Zanele Situ – Bronze medal, Javelin Throw;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Silver medal, Women’s 400m;
- Ernst van Dyk – Gold medal, Cycling – Men’s Road Race;
- Reinhardt Hamman – Gold medal, Javelin Throw;
- Jonathan Ntutu – Silver medal, Men’s 100m;
- Charl du Toit – 2X Gold medals, Men’s 100m and 400m;
- Ilse Hayes – 2X Silver medals, Women’s 400m and 100m;
- Hilton Langenhoven – Gold medal, Long Jump and Silver medal, Men’s 200m; and
- Dyan Buis – Bronze medal, Long Jump and Gold medal, Men’s 400m.
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Police warn motorists after gruesome hijacking and gang rape in Uitenhage
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- NMMU increases 2017 fees by 8% as per government recommendation