Team SA Rio Paralympics 2016 – Another Bronze on the table!
Team South Africa is not slowing down at the Rio 2016 Paralympics as another bronze medal has been added to the table.
Zanele Situ, a Paralympic veteran, won the bronze medal for the Women’s Javelin Throw final, F54 classification. This has brought South Africa’s total medal tally up to 8. However, our ranking on the medal ladder has gone down from 19th to 23rd.
Sadly, the swimmers did not place very well in their Freestyle events. Achmat Hassiem placed 18th as did Shireen Shapiro, while Emily Gray placed 20th.
Philippa Johnson placed 12th in the Equestrian Individual Championship Test, Grade III.
Our athletes managed to place well in their events with Liezel Gouws placing 7th in the Women’s 400m finals, and Anruné Liebenburg qualifying for the Women’s 400m Finals, T47 classification as the second fasted qualifier. Dyan Buis narrowly missed third place in the Men’s 100m Finals and placed 4th.
SA Competitors for Wednesday
- Shaun Anderson – Individual Component
- Ndondo Ntutu – Men’s 100m heats, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m heats, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 400m Final, T47 classification; and
- Zandile Nhlapo – Shot Put, F34 classification.
- Graham Paull – kayak single 200m heats, KL1 classification
- Roxy Burns – C1-3 classification;
- Dane Wilson – C5 classification;
- Ernst van Dyk – H5 classification;
- Justine Asher – H2-3 classification;
- Craig Ridgard – C2 classification; and
- Goldy Fuchs – T1-2 classification.
- Lucas Sithole – Quad mixed singles, Bronze medal match, WT20-21 classification.
The new Democratic Alliance (DA) – led administration in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has made some progress in turning around the region in its first 100 days in office. That was the message from Executive Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay, Athol Trollip, on Monday when he presented his 100 days...
Over the past weekend, King Williams Town...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
After being winless for nine games, Chippa United eventually dug...
Several successful operations that were conducted over the...
The South African Police Service (SAPS) on Monday appealed...
Volkswagen Motorsport ended the six-round national Sasol...
The Warriors showed a fluctuation of telling results over the...
A new deal between two South African energy efficiency...
President Jacob Zuma on Monday called on all South...