Team SA Rio Paralympics 2016 – Another Bronze on the table!
Team South Africa is not slowing down at the Rio 2016 Paralympics as another bronze medal has been added to the table.
Zanele Situ, a Paralympic veteran, won the bronze medal for the Women’s Javelin Throw final, F54 classification. This has brought South Africa’s total medal tally up to 8. However, our ranking on the medal ladder has gone down from 19th to 23rd.
Sadly, the swimmers did not place very well in their Freestyle events. Achmat Hassiem placed 18th as did Shireen Shapiro, while Emily Gray placed 20th.
Philippa Johnson placed 12th in the Equestrian Individual Championship Test, Grade III.
Our athletes managed to place well in their events with Liezel Gouws placing 7th in the Women’s 400m finals, and Anruné Liebenburg qualifying for the Women’s 400m Finals, T47 classification as the second fasted qualifier. Dyan Buis narrowly missed third place in the Men’s 100m Finals and placed 4th.
SA Competitors for Wednesday
- Shaun Anderson – Individual Component
- Ndondo Ntutu – Men’s 100m heats, T12 classification;
- Ntando Mahlangu – Men’s 100m heats, T42 classification;
- Anruné Liebenberg – Women’s 400m Final, T47 classification; and
- Zandile Nhlapo – Shot Put, F34 classification.
- Graham Paull – kayak single 200m heats, KL1 classification
- Roxy Burns – C1-3 classification;
- Dane Wilson – C5 classification;
- Ernst van Dyk – H5 classification;
- Justine Asher – H2-3 classification;
- Craig Ridgard – C2 classification; and
- Goldy Fuchs – T1-2 classification.
- Lucas Sithole – Quad mixed singles, Bronze medal match, WT20-21 classification.
Inmates incarcerated in Mthatha and surrounding areas will...
With at least one in 20 children in South Africa...
The South African Weather Service says the next summer season has increased the likelihood for the development of El Nino conditions, which are often associated with drought and water...
On April 15th and 16th, the Easter Bunny will be...
With social media playing a very important role in a brand’s...
The South African International Maritime Institute (SAIMI)...
The Sarah Baartman District Municipality is taking its Draft...
More than 6 700 graduates are set to cross the stage over...
The Eastern Province Kings took to the field for...
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) on...
- Petrol price April 2017: AA predicts fuel price decreases even after fuel levy increases
- Here is your weather picture for Wings and Wheels Festival and IRONMAN weekend
- Hero Despatch cop goes beyond duty to help pregnant woman deliver baby girl
- East London police investigating after 34-year-old man brutally murdered
- Castle Lager is back at the 2017 SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees