Team SA update 2016 Rio Olympics: Thursday
It was a good day for Team South Africa on Wednesday as most of our athletes fared very well in their heats and qualifiers. No new medals have been won yet since Sunday, but the prospects of adding another Gold medal are looking very good.
Caster Semenya had South African’s raving in her Women’s 800m track heats, as she was first on the finishing line - while making it look like it didn’t take much effort at all.
Elroy Galant did an excellent job in the Men’s 5000m heats. He managed to finish 7th in the heats and within qualifying time to earn him a spot in the finals.
In the Men’s decathlon, competitor Willem Coertzen was not on his game and was unable to compete in the high jump portion of the decathlon. His points were a little too short to earn him a high ranking spot, but he has said on social media that he will keep his head up and move forward.
For the Men’s Javelin Throw, Rocco van Rooyen failed to get a far enough distance to grab a spot in the finals, finishing 13th out of 19 competitors.
In the Women’s Kayak 500m semi-final, Bridgitte Hartley narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, as she finished 5th out of seven boats. She will be competing in the consolation final later on Thursday.
Our two women’s golf competitors, Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon, played very well in their first round yesterday. They will be playing in the second round later today.
For Cycling BMX, Kyle Dodd fared very well in the seeding, finishing 26th, and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.
Team SA’s ranking has not changed and remains 32nd in the medal standings.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Women’s Individual Golf Round 2 – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Kayak Single 500m consolation final – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Men’s Individual Triathlon – Richard Murray and Henri Schoeman;
- Cycling BMX Quarter-Finals – Kyle Dodd and
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Sunette Viljoen.
- Women’s 800m Semi-Finals – Caster Semenya.
Three men are expected in court on Monday after they were...
Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa says industry must partner...
Police in KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth, are investigating a case of business robbery, which occurred at about 16:30 on Friday. "It...
In association with Belgotex Sport – Greenfields SA, South Africa’s...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Friday advised...
The economic transformation discussion...
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) would...
The Master Builders Association (MBA) of Eastern Cape hosted...
Members of the Bloemfontein Flying Squad dealt a heavy...
Disgruntled Road Accident Fund (RAF) employees, who are...
- Ster-Kinekor closing cinemas at Greenacres as focus shifts to premium experiences
- Seven injured after elevator plunges to the ground at Mount Road police station
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate three containers from Nigeria
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7