Team SA update 2016 Rio Olympics: Thursday
It was a good day for Team South Africa on Wednesday as most of our athletes fared very well in their heats and qualifiers. No new medals have been won yet since Sunday, but the prospects of adding another Gold medal are looking very good.
Caster Semenya had South African’s raving in her Women’s 800m track heats, as she was first on the finishing line - while making it look like it didn’t take much effort at all.
Elroy Galant did an excellent job in the Men’s 5000m heats. He managed to finish 7th in the heats and within qualifying time to earn him a spot in the finals.
In the Men’s decathlon, competitor Willem Coertzen was not on his game and was unable to compete in the high jump portion of the decathlon. His points were a little too short to earn him a high ranking spot, but he has said on social media that he will keep his head up and move forward.
For the Men’s Javelin Throw, Rocco van Rooyen failed to get a far enough distance to grab a spot in the finals, finishing 13th out of 19 competitors.
In the Women’s Kayak 500m semi-final, Bridgitte Hartley narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, as she finished 5th out of seven boats. She will be competing in the consolation final later on Thursday.
Our two women’s golf competitors, Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon, played very well in their first round yesterday. They will be playing in the second round later today.
For Cycling BMX, Kyle Dodd fared very well in the seeding, finishing 26th, and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.
Team SA’s ranking has not changed and remains 32nd in the medal standings.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Women’s Individual Golf Round 2 – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Kayak Single 500m consolation final – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Men’s Individual Triathlon – Richard Murray and Henri Schoeman;
- Cycling BMX Quarter-Finals – Kyle Dodd and
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Sunette Viljoen.
- Women’s 800m Semi-Finals – Caster Semenya.
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
Managers at all levels are tempted to hold on to their best...
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Police warn motorists after gruesome hijacking and gang rape in Uitenhage
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- NMMU increases 2017 fees by 8% as per government recommendation