Team SA update 2016 Rio Olympics: Thursday
It was a good day for Team South Africa on Wednesday as most of our athletes fared very well in their heats and qualifiers. No new medals have been won yet since Sunday, but the prospects of adding another Gold medal are looking very good.
Caster Semenya had South African’s raving in her Women’s 800m track heats, as she was first on the finishing line - while making it look like it didn’t take much effort at all.
Elroy Galant did an excellent job in the Men’s 5000m heats. He managed to finish 7th in the heats and within qualifying time to earn him a spot in the finals.
In the Men’s decathlon, competitor Willem Coertzen was not on his game and was unable to compete in the high jump portion of the decathlon. His points were a little too short to earn him a high ranking spot, but he has said on social media that he will keep his head up and move forward.
For the Men’s Javelin Throw, Rocco van Rooyen failed to get a far enough distance to grab a spot in the finals, finishing 13th out of 19 competitors.
In the Women’s Kayak 500m semi-final, Bridgitte Hartley narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, as she finished 5th out of seven boats. She will be competing in the consolation final later on Thursday.
Our two women’s golf competitors, Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon, played very well in their first round yesterday. They will be playing in the second round later today.
For Cycling BMX, Kyle Dodd fared very well in the seeding, finishing 26th, and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.
Team SA’s ranking has not changed and remains 32nd in the medal standings.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Women’s Individual Golf Round 2 – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Kayak Single 500m consolation final – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Men’s Individual Triathlon – Richard Murray and Henri Schoeman;
- Cycling BMX Quarter-Finals – Kyle Dodd and
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Sunette Viljoen.
- Women’s 800m Semi-Finals – Caster Semenya.
It has been a slow start to the Save South Africa Freedom ...
Two suspects, aged 21 and 28 years old, was arrested shortly...
A crowd of loyal supporters has gathered in front of the City Hall, in Port Elizabeth, where the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape is hosting its Freedom Day rally....
11 students from the King Hintsa TVET College, Theko and...
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa ...
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances