Team SA update 2016 Rio Olympics: Thursday
It was a good day for Team South Africa on Wednesday as most of our athletes fared very well in their heats and qualifiers. No new medals have been won yet since Sunday, but the prospects of adding another Gold medal are looking very good.
Caster Semenya had South African’s raving in her Women’s 800m track heats, as she was first on the finishing line - while making it look like it didn’t take much effort at all.
Elroy Galant did an excellent job in the Men’s 5000m heats. He managed to finish 7th in the heats and within qualifying time to earn him a spot in the finals.
In the Men’s decathlon, competitor Willem Coertzen was not on his game and was unable to compete in the high jump portion of the decathlon. His points were a little too short to earn him a high ranking spot, but he has said on social media that he will keep his head up and move forward.
For the Men’s Javelin Throw, Rocco van Rooyen failed to get a far enough distance to grab a spot in the finals, finishing 13th out of 19 competitors.
In the Women’s Kayak 500m semi-final, Bridgitte Hartley narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, as she finished 5th out of seven boats. She will be competing in the consolation final later on Thursday.
Our two women’s golf competitors, Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon, played very well in their first round yesterday. They will be playing in the second round later today.
For Cycling BMX, Kyle Dodd fared very well in the seeding, finishing 26th, and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.
Team SA’s ranking has not changed and remains 32nd in the medal standings.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Women’s Individual Golf Round 2 – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Kayak Single 500m consolation final – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Men’s Individual Triathlon – Richard Murray and Henri Schoeman;
- Cycling BMX Quarter-Finals – Kyle Dodd and
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Sunette Viljoen.
- Women’s 800m Semi-Finals – Caster Semenya.
The retail price of both 93 and 95 octane petrol will decrease by 8c a litre on Wednesday, while the price of diesel will also decrease by 2c a litre and the wholesale price of illuminating paraffin will decrease by 8c a litre, the Department of Energy...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA), which...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday said that it would...
Almost half of all phishing attacks (fraudulent email messages...
Key executives from Grant Thornton South Africa provide commentary...
The finance minister, Mr Gordhan, delivered a budget speech...
Queens College last Saturday won the Queenstown Under-17 Sevens...
That innovation is important and necessary for survival...
A 45-year-old man from Butterworth is expected in court on...
- NMMU urges students to apply for Fee Adjustment Grant
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- Dept of Energy confirms slight petrol price decreases for March 2017
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop
- DA wants Walter Sisulu Municipality Speaker gone after he was busted by HAWKS for corruption