Team SA update 2016 Rio Olympics: Thursday
It was a good day for Team South Africa on Wednesday as most of our athletes fared very well in their heats and qualifiers. No new medals have been won yet since Sunday, but the prospects of adding another Gold medal are looking very good.
Caster Semenya had South African’s raving in her Women’s 800m track heats, as she was first on the finishing line - while making it look like it didn’t take much effort at all.
Elroy Galant did an excellent job in the Men’s 5000m heats. He managed to finish 7th in the heats and within qualifying time to earn him a spot in the finals.
In the Men’s decathlon, competitor Willem Coertzen was not on his game and was unable to compete in the high jump portion of the decathlon. His points were a little too short to earn him a high ranking spot, but he has said on social media that he will keep his head up and move forward.
For the Men’s Javelin Throw, Rocco van Rooyen failed to get a far enough distance to grab a spot in the finals, finishing 13th out of 19 competitors.
In the Women’s Kayak 500m semi-final, Bridgitte Hartley narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, as she finished 5th out of seven boats. She will be competing in the consolation final later on Thursday.
Our two women’s golf competitors, Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon, played very well in their first round yesterday. They will be playing in the second round later today.
For Cycling BMX, Kyle Dodd fared very well in the seeding, finishing 26th, and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.
Team SA’s ranking has not changed and remains 32nd in the medal standings.
SA Competitors for Thursday
- Women’s Individual Golf Round 2 – Paula Reto and Ashleigh Simon;
- Women’s Kayak Single 500m consolation final – Bridgitte Hartley;
- Men’s Individual Triathlon – Richard Murray and Henri Schoeman;
- Cycling BMX Quarter-Finals – Kyle Dodd and
- Women’s Javelin Throw – Sunette Viljoen.
- Women’s 800m Semi-Finals – Caster Semenya.
In an ever evolving education landscape...
Police in Mthatha arrested a 44-year-old man at Ngolo Locality...
The Boardwalk will be a showcase of Chinese culture...
Bridge Street Brewery will saying “goodbye for now” to Charlie...
Eight suspects, aged between 25 and 56 years, are in police...
Police in Port Elizabeth are on the heels of hijackers, who escaped after they crashed a hijacked vehicle following an early Monday morning high-speed police chase in New Brighton...
A man is in police custody after he was arrested over the...
The South African Police Service in Grahamstown will be...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
- Severe thunderstorms expected over eastern half of Eastern Cape
- EP Cricket pays tribute to Colin Rushmere
- Bethelsdorp man in custody for allegedly shooting dead rival gang member
- First cop on scene after elderly American couple is hijacked recognised
- Nothing wrong with employing #FeesMustFall activists if they never broke the law: NMMU