Teenage gangster expected in PE court for three attempted murders on New Year's Day
A 19 year-old teenager is expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Friday on three counts of attempted murder on New Year's Day.
According to Port Elizabeth police, at about 01:50, on 1 January, the suspect, who is a known gangster, was in Kobus Street, Gelvandale, when he encountered his first victim.
"The victim alleged that he was been robbed by members of the gang. The suspect pointed a firearm at the victim, pulled the trigger but no shot rang out," police said.
In the second incident, a 43 year-old man was sleeping when he heard noises outside and when he went to investigate, he heard shots being fired.
He was wounded in his left leg.
The third victim, an innocent 21 year-old female bystander was allegedly walking down Kobus Street when she was shot on her right knee.
The three incidents occurred in sequence on the same day.
On Wednesday, the suspect was arrested by the Visible Gang Intervention Team (VGIT) in Gelvandale.
He has been linked to all three incidents of attempted murder.
Meanwhile, Sasha Ferreira (26) also a gang member appeared in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Wednesday for allegedly shooting at police officers in Bethelsdorp on 28 November 2015.
Two police officers were allegedly shot at while chasing after the suspect in Kleinskool. No injuries were sustained.
The suspect was also linked to another attempted murder case, which took place in November 2015 in Bethelsdorp.
"It is alleged that the victim (25 years) was at a tavern when he was shot in his chest by Ferreira. He will appear in court again on Wednesday next week for a formal bail application on both cases.
Police are appealing to the communities in Port Elizabeth's Northern Areas to come forward and report criminals, who are continuously instilling fear in the lives of the law abiding citizens.
Information may be reported anonymously on 08600 10111 or to 082 387 6320. All information reported to police will be treated as strictly confidential. Be the eyes and ears of the police and together we can make our communities safer.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!