Temperatures reach high discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape
High discomfort levels are being experienced over parts of the Eastern Cape, says the Port Elizabeth office of the South African Weather Services.
"At levels above 100, school sport must cease," said Garth Sampson, Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape at the SA Weather Services.
He said that at 11 am on Wednesday, the figures were;
- Joubertina DCI 103 temp 36C
- Patensie DCI 107 temp 38C
- Uitenhage DCI 107 temp 38C
- Port Elizabeth DCI 108 temp 37C
- Coega DCI 98 temp 32C
- PortAlfred DCI 102 temp 34C
- East London DCI 104 temp 33C
- Addo DCI 106 temp 36C
- Grahamstown DCI 96 temp 33C
"Temperatures only expected to drop after 4pm," said Sampson.
PLEASE REMEMBER EXTRA WATER FOR YOUR PETS
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES DID YOU KNOW?
The temperature in a motor-car can rise to more than 10 degrees higher than the outside temperature in just 10 minutes and 20 C in 30 minutes. . Do not leave pets or children in motor-cars, especially in hot conditions.
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances