“Terror” attack in Belgium foiled

BY CHARL BOSCH - JANUARY 16, 2015

Belgian police have confirmed that it has killed at least two people with suspected terrorist links following a shootout in the town of Verviers.

According to various sources, the gunmen opened fire as police were carrying out an anti-terrorism raid near the town’s train station on Thursday evening. A third suspect has been taken into police custody with CNN citing a senior counter-terrorism officer as saying that the supposed attack appears to have been ordered by the Islamic State (Isis).

Speaking in a statement after the foiled attack, Prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt said that police had been targeting groups believed to be returning from Syria and that an investigation of the seized building saw four Kalashnikovs, bomb-making equipment and police clothing being confiscated.

“This was in the framework of an operation looking into an operational cell made up of people, some of whom coming back from Syria,” Van Der Spyt’s spokesperson, Thierry Werts, is quoted by CNN as saying.

“The investigation made it possible to determine that the group was about to carry out major terrorist attacks in Belgium imminently,” he said, with Belgian officials estimating that around 300 people has left the country to join Islamic militant groups in Syria and Iraq.

The latest attack comes two weeks after brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi killed 12 people in an attack on French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, before being shot dead by police two days later at a warehouse near Charles de Gaulle airport.

A few minutes before, 32-year old Amedy Coulibaly was shot and killed by police after holding up a kosher grocery store in Paris, having killed four hostages. The search for his accomplice, Hayat Boumeddiene, is ongoing. The Yemen-branch of Al-Qaeda on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the attacks on Charlie Hebdo while Coulibaly’s was reported to have links with Isis although no confirmation as been made so far.

 

CAPTION: The cordoned-off building in the Belgain town of Verviers were an alleged terror attack was prevented by police. IMAGE sourced from news.asiaone.com 

 

 

ATTACK ON FRENCH MEDIA HOUSE LEAVES 12 DEAD

PARIS TERROR PART 1: EDITOR AND CARTOONISTS AMONGST THE DEAD

PARIS TERROR PART 2: BROTHERS IDENTIFIED AS GUNMEN

PARIS TERROR PART 3: SUSPECTS FLEE AFTER ROBBING PETROL STATION

PARIS TERROR PART 4: SUSPECTS “WILLING TO DIE”

PARIS TERROR PART 5: SUSPECTS KILLED