The best in South African travel recognised at Inaugural Cheapflights Travel Awards
Global flight and travel search platform Cheapflights announced the winners of the inaugural Cheapflights Travel Awards last night in Cape Town. The awards recognised the best South African travel and tourism business and brands in a range of categories from the best local airports and airlines, to the best safari and wine offerings.
South Africans casted their vote for their favourite travel brands and businesses over the past month, as nominated by the South African Travel Massive blogger community.
With over 50,000 votes cast, Managing Director of Cheapflights Andrew Shelton said: “We were overwhelmed by the response and the number of votes that came in for our first ever travel awards. We want to thank everyone for participating, and congratulate them for being recognised as one of the top performers in their category. South Africa is a premiere destination, with world class offerings, and it shows in the numbers with international visitors to South Africa is growing by 30% year on year”.
Shelton was joined by a delegation of Cheapflights colleagues, who over the course of a three-day visit met with a number of tourism industry stakeholders and partners to better understand the South African travel market, and discuss the benefits of the Cheapflights metasearch products to both businesses and consumers here.
Cheapflights has seen a 69% increase in demand over the last 12 months, across its web and app platforms, and revenue growth of 131% - evidence, he believes, of a growing wanderlust in the Rainbow Nation: “The falling value of the Pound, and the increased competition that platforms like ours bring to a market, are all good news for South African travellers.
By giving them accurate and timely information on the best value flights when they are searching, we help them to make the best choices – simplifying what can be a daunting and confusing process, and giving them to confidence to make a purchase.”
The winners of the 2016 Cheapflights Inaugural Travel Awards were as follows:
- Best Airport: OR Tambo International Airport
- Best Airline Lounge: Emirates at Cape Town International
- Best Local Airline: South African Airways
- Best Airline in Africa: Air Namibia
- Best International Airline: Emirates
- Best Car Hire: Avis
- Best Hotel Chain: Tsogo Sun
- Best Independent/City Boutique Hotel: One & Only Cape Town
- Best Attraction/Experience: Table Mountain
- Best Safari/Lodge Experience: Sabi Sands Game Reserve
- Best Wine Farm Experience: Spier in Stellenbosch
The 2016 Cheapflights Inaugural Travel Awards featured a keynote address delivered by Enver Duminy, CEO of Cape Town Tourism, who provided insight into the current developments in Cape Town and surrounds. Cheapflights.co.za also partnered with Africa Geographic and Travel Massive for the first time.
Further information about the Cheapflights South Africa Travel Awards winners can be found at www.cheapflights.co.za/travel-awards-2016.
With the many challenges small business owners...
Two East London men, aged between 29 - 35 years, are expected in court soon after they were arrested by police in Mdantsane...
The start of January 2017 is already proving to be...
The last few years have seen vast growth in...
The first six months of the 2016/17 financial year have passed...
Since the inception of Isuzu Truck South Africa...
The new and proposed Cybercrime and Cybersecurity Bill...
This term promises to be a busy one for the swimmers...
A 27-year-old Willowvale man is expected in court on Friday...
Whilst the summer season is not yet fully complete, NMBT can...
- Man handed lengthy jail sentence for mystery 2016 murder
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- 24-year-old woman arrested for possession of illegal firearm and ammunition
- Visiting elderly American couple rescued after hijacking in Uitenhage
- Teen among suspects arrested for kidnapping woman outside Peddie court and later killing her