The Interview Film: North Korea denies involvement

DECEMBER 20, 2014

Amid mounting tensions, North Korea's mission to the UN on Saturday denied its country’s involvement in a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures after the US’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said it had evidence that Pyongyang was behind the hacking.

"Our country has no relation with the hacker," North Korean political counsellor, Kim Song, told AFP.

"There is no relation. This is not worth a comment."

In the past week, Sony Pictures cancelled the release of a film called "The Interview" over the cyber-attack and warnings to movie-goers. The anonymous hackers also threatened attacks on cinemas screening the film, prompting major theatre chains to say they would not screen it.

The comedy is about a fictional plot to assassinate North Korean leader, Kim Jong-Un.

The FBI said in a statement that it "now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions."

The attack involves the use of malware and rendered thousands of Sony Pictures computers "inoperable," forcing the company to take its entire network offline, the FBI said.

North's top military body, the National Defense Commission, had previously warned that the film was an affront to the country's leadership.