The year of the Freedom Charter
President Jacob Zuma recently stated that the African National Congress (ANC) will strive to uphold the ideals held within the Freedom Charter, a document which will, in June this year, celebrate its 60th anniversary.
In recording the demands of many South Africans, in terms of what they believed should constitute a future South Africa, the Congress of the People Campaign paved the way for the ANC and its anti-apartheid allies – collectively known as the Congress Alliance – to meet in Kliptown, Soweto on the 25th and 26th of June 1955 to announce a document which would encourage the future values of the nation.
The Freedom Charter, as it would be known, states that South Africa belongs to all those who live in it and that the nation cannot move forward without the equality that many had fought so hard for to achieve.
Within the Charter, ten clauses stand out in voicing the prescripts for the nation – clauses which the ANC have stated will continue to provide the cornerstone for the country.
These main clauses are as follows:
- The people shall govern.
- All national groups shall have equal rights.
- The people shall share in the country’s wealth.
- The land shall be shared among those who work it.
- All shall be equal before the law.
- All shall enjoy equal human rights.
- There shall be work and security.
- The doors of learning and culture shall be opened.
- There shall be houses, security and comfort.
- There shall be peace and friendship.
Image courtesy of: whotalking.com
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Buffalo...
Following days of uncertainty after African National Congress (ANC) Eastern Cape Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) member, Andile Lungisa, controversially contested and won the...
Several anti-crime operations that were conducted by...
Eastern Cape police on Monday appealed to the public for...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Monday said that...
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- Over 1 000 police vehicles out of service in the Eastern Cape alone: DA
- NMMU Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship award recipients ready to do proud