Third suspect arrested for hijacking of NMMU students, rape and murder
The Task and Tracking team that was setup to investigate the gruesome hijacking, murder and rape of two Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) students early this month, arrested yet another suspect on Tuesday afternoon - bringing the number of suspects arrested in connection with the crime to three.
The latest arrest happened at the corners of Tshangana and Siyakulati streets in New Brighton, Port Elizabeth, at about 15:00, police said.
According to police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, the suspect was arrested after the Task and Tracking team responded to a tip-off.
“He is expected to appear in court soon while the other two suspects are due back in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Thursday, 1 September 2016,” said Colonel Naidu.
The team is commended on the speedy arrests and investigation of this case.
Two teens expected in court
The news comes as two teenagers are expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Thursday in connection with the gruesome hijacking, murder and rape of two Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) students early this month.
This follows the arrest of a 17 year-old suspect from KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth, who handed himself over to Port Elizabeth police on Friday.
According to police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, the suspect is one of the five suspects that were being sought by the police for alleged involvement in the hijacking of two NMMU students on the nigh of 13 August, outside an NMMU residence in North End, PE.
The students, a 21 year-old female and a 28 year-old male, are believed to had gone there to pick up friends to attend the recent intervarsity tournament.
They were then driven to Brighton Beach where two of the hijackers allegedly took turns to rape the female student before executing her male companion.
The suspects later dumped the female student in Central early on the Sunday morning and she reported the case.
Police later recovered the body of the male student, which they found floating in the water at the same beach on the Sunday afternoon.
“The suspect appeared in the Port Elizabeth magistrate court on Monday, and he was remanded in custody for formal bail application,” said Colonel Naidu.
Coincidentally, last week Wednesday, police announced that an 18 year-old KwaZakhele suspect had been arrested in the same case. The suspect was found in possession of the complainant’s belongings.
The VW Polo Vivo stolen from the students was found abandoned in KwaZakhele.
In a statement, following the incident, the NMMU said that it had been saddened by the heinous crime.
Two suspects remain outstanding now.
Fun times were had at The Boardwalk on Thursday all in the name of charity. Finalists for the Mr Port Elizabeth UberMANn campaign rolled people around the lake of The Boardwalk to raise funds in aid of the Association for the Physically Disabled (APD) of Nelson Mandela Bay...
As one of South Africa’s most prominent news...
KIA Motors has signed a memorandum of...
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) is the...
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- iMveli Cycling Academy holding a Mass Ride over increasing attacks on cyclists in Victoria Drive