Three new signings for Southern Kings
The Southern Kings have confirmed three more signings ahead of the commencement of the ‘new-look’ Super Rugby competition next month.
Philip du Preez (22), lock from former French club, Bayonne; Jurgen Visser (26), former Blue Bulls fullback and Martin Bezuidenhout (26), former Golden Lions hooker, were the confirmed signings by Chief Operating Officer, Charl Crous.
Crous also confirmed that Sharks player, Jaco van Tonder (24), a utility back specialising in fullback, wing or flyhalf, has joined the squad this week on trial.
Philip du Preez has been described as a great prospect for the future as an up-and-coming line-out specialist.
Du Preez initially represented the Johannesburg-based Lions in the u18 Craven Week, before representing the South African u18 schools side at the conclusion of the event. The following year, Du Preez then represented the Blue Bulls in the ABSA u19 competition, before relocating to the Cheetahs the following season to represent them in the u21 competition. It was there where he made his Vodacom Cup debut in his first senior game in 2014.
Jurgen Visser played 40 matches for the Blue Bulls in the Currie Cup and 31 matches for the Bulls in Super Rugby, which will add more Super Rugby experience to the squad.
Martin Bezuidenhout also has a taste of Super Rugby, as he previously represented the Stormers and Lions at Super Rugby level. He played for the Griquas in the Vodacom Cup and Currie Cup last year.
Jaco van Tonder moved to the Sharks in 2012. He previously represented the George-based, SWD Eagles at the u18 Craven Week. His versatility can add some much needed dynamics to the team.
On the back-drop of these signings, last week former Pumas flanker, Chris Cloete (24), and Sharks lock, JC Astle was confirmed as players on loan for this season.
At the same time, SWD Eagles utility back, Leighton Eksteen (21) and Luzuko Vulindlu (28), who has played wing and centre for the same team, have both been secured for loan for the 2016 season.
It was also confirmed that hooker, Martin Ferreira (26) and lock, Tazz Fuzani (25) had been secured on contract for this season.
The Kings play a warm-up friendly against the NMMU Madibaz this Friday at the NMB Stadium and another warm-up friendly against the SWD Eagles at Outeniqua Park in George next Friday night, the 5th of February.
Current squad to date:
- Aidon Davis, 21, No 8
- Chris Cloete, 24, Flank
- Cornell Hess, 26, Lock
- Cyril-John Velleman, 20, Flank
- Edgar Marutlulle, 27, Hooker
- Elgar Watts, 30, Flyhalf
- Jacobie Adriaanse, 30, Tighthead Prop
- Jacques (Vleis) Engelbrecht,30, No 8
- James Hall, 19, Scrumhalf
- John-Charles (JC) Astle, 25, Lock
- JP du Plessis, 24, Centre
- Jurgen Visser (26), Fullback
- Kevin Luiters, 23, Scrumhalf
- Leighton Eksteen,21, Scrumhalf, Flyhalf, Fullback
- Louis Fouche, 25, Flyhalf
- Lukhanyo Am, 22, Centre
- Luzuko Vulindlu, 28, Centre/Wing
- Malcolm Jaer, 20, Fullback
- Martin Ferreira, 26, Hooker
- Phillip du Plessis, 22, Lock
- Schalk Ferreira, 31, Prop
- Schalk Oelofse, 27, Lock
- Shane Gates, 23, Flyhalf
- Sipato Junior Pokomela, 19, No 8
- Siyanda Grey,26, Wing/Centre
- Stefan Watermeyer, 27, Centre
- Stefan Willemse, 23, Flank
- Steven Sykes, 31, Lock
- Tazz Fuzani, 25, Lock
- Thembelani Bholi, 25, Flank
- Tom Botha, 25, Prop
- Tyler Paul, 20, Lock/Flank
Western Province’s resilience won the arm wrestle battle against...
George Municipality Executive Mayor, Ald Melvin Naik, on...
When the axe finally fell on the embattled South Africa’s finance minister, Pravin Gordhan, and his deputy, Mcebisi Jonas, the reactions played out as many people had predicted. The ...
At a time where technology is adopted to automate...
There was fun and entertainment for local motorsport...
The Graeme College 1st XV returned from the Easter...
Police in Grahamstown have opened an inquest docket after...
The 2017 Edge Muck Run, on behalf of Zsports...
Approximately R141 million could be saved over the next five...
Algoa FM proved its results-driven creative ability, by scooping...
- Metro cops seize laptops from officials after irregular payments
- Will the Freedom Movement pull it off without Save South Africa?
- President Zuma to bestow 2017 National Orders Awards
- Over 2 400 capped during Rhodes University's 2017 graduation ceremonies
- Time for Port Elizabeth's 'sleeping giant' to wake up to UDZ rebates