Top Gear executive producer slams leaked “resignation” letter

BY CHARL BOSCH - MARCH 31, 2015

BBC Top Gear Executive Producer, Andy Wilman, has said he has no plans on leaving the hit-motoring show after a leaked email reportedly showed him as tendering-in his resignation following the dismissal of star presenter and close friend, Jeremy Clarkson, last week.

In a statement on the show’s official website, Wilman said the letter was a private note of thanks to the 113 people who worked on the show, but that it was never meant to go public and leaked by “one of those 113” who he described as a “t**” for sharing it.

Earlier, motoring themed website, Jalopnik, reported that it obtained an email in which Wilman appeared to confirm his exist after the broadcaster chose not to renew Clarkson’s contact following a fracas three weeks ago, in which he punched associate producer, Oisin Tymon, for not arranging warm food after a day’s filming.

“I don’t get this modern obsession with sharing, liking, forwarding re-tweeting; whatever happened to a private moment?” Wilman wrote, adding that he would hand-in his resignation “to someone upstairs in HR” and not announce it publicly, if he plans on ever leaving.

“I work behind the camera and I wouldn’t presume for one moment to think people are interested in what I do. Now everyone back to work”.

No word has yet been given on a replacement for Clarkson or when the show is expected to return. His co-presenters, Richard Hammond and James May, have hinted that they could also leave despite not being involved with the incident.