Trollip announces the Mayoral Committee that will deliver the promised change
Almost a week after his historic inauguration as the new Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Athol Trollip, announced his much-anticipated Mayoral Committee at a press briefing held at the Uitenhage Town Hall, in Uitenhage - just outside Port Elizabeth, on Wednesday.
Trollip's new Mayoral Committee, which is expected to play a big role in fulfilling the various promises made by the Democratic Alliance (DA) during campaiging, will be consituted as follows:
- Cllr Mongameli Bobani, who is the Deputy Executive Mayor, (in charge of Public Health);
- Cllr Rano Kayser (in charge of Roads and Transport);
- Cllr Retief Odendaal (in charge of Budget and Treasury);
- Cllr Annette Lovemore (Infrastructure and Engineering);
- Cllr Dean Biddulph (Corporate Services);
- Cllr Shirley Sauls (Constituency Services);
- Cllr Siyasanga Sijadu (Sports, Recreation, Arts and Culture);
- Cllr John Best (Safety and Security);
- Cllr Andrew Whitfield (Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture);
- Cllr Nqaba Bhanga (Human Settlements); and
- Cllr Lance Grootboom, who has been earmarked to lead the new administration's Municipal Public Accounts Committee. However, Trollip said that his position has to be proposed in Council before he is elected.
The Mayor said that this team, which includes councillors from the various smaller parties that entered into a coalition with the DA, represents all the voters of Nelson Mandela Bay.
"This team, I believe, will be able to equip themselves of their responsibilities and the fashion that will bring change to people's lives.
"That was our manifesto essence in a nutshell that we will bring change and I believe that this group of people not only represent the communities, but they understand the challenges in the communities," he said at the briefing.
"They have been an integral part of this campaign and have been members of this party for a long time, also members of the other participating parties, their parties have seen fit to entrust them with these positions of leadership."
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) Chief Executive, Mr. Pepi Silinga has been appointed to the Gauteng Premier’s Economic Advisory Panel for the next two years. Pepi Silinga’s...
Three Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) Fine...
The Family Violence Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit...
Once again teamwork and team spirit prevailed when two...
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- The Great Moscow Circus Big Top Goes Up at The Boardwalk!!
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- Replacing Pravin Gordhan, or his deputy, would carry a heavy cost
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000