Two cases of Ebola confirmed in the DR Congo

AUGUST 25, 2014

The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Monday confirmed their first two Ebola cases. However, the country’s Health Minister, Felix Kabange Numbi said that the two cases were unrelated to the epidemic currently raging in West Africa.

Last week, the DR Congo also reported a haemorrhagic fever that resembled the deadly Ebola virus. Numbi had said that “a haemorrhagic fever of unknown origin had killed 13 people in the country's northwest in the past two weeks.

"After analysing eight samples taken in the field, the National Institute of Biomedical Research has just confirmed that two of those samples test positive for Ebola," he said.

There have been dozens of people who have come into contact with individuals infected with the hemorrhagic fever and those are currently being monitored.

The DR Congo has been hit by the Ebola virus six times in the past.

"The experience gained during the six past Ebola epidemics will be put to use to contain the illness," he said.

Numbi has said that the strain of the Ebola virus currently in the DR Congo is not the same in West Africa. The two people who were tested for the Ebola virus had the Sudanese strain of the disease, while West Africa has the Zaire strain.

The World Health Organisation said on Friday that the death toll for the Ebola epidemic in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and Guinea has risen to 1427. 


Photo sourced from