Two men in custody for murder of Mhlonto Speaker's driver and attempted assassination on Speaker
Two additional male suspects, aged between 40-50 years, have been taken in for questioning by Eastern Cape SAPS in connection with the murder of the driver of Mhlontlo Local Municipality Speaker and an attempted murder on the Speaker. The incident happened in Tsolo towards the end of last year.
"The two were taken in on Monday," said police spokesperson, Lt Khaya Tonjeni.
"This development brings the number of people who have been implicated in this case to four.
"The two have not yet been charged but when charged, they will be expected to appear in court soon. Investigations continue."
Eastern Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lt General Celiwe Binta welcomed the developments in this case and commended the Task Team members from the General Detectives, Hawks and Crime Investigations in the province for their dedication and efforts being made to crack this case.
About the incident
Speaker, Xolile Nkompela, escaped unhurt from his luxury vehicle when his driver, Zukile Nyontso, died in a hail of bullets following an alleged ambush near Bakhangele village outside Tsolo on December 18.
Nkompela had been under guard after allegedly receiving death threats.
During the attack, he was reportedly sitting in the back seat travelling from his brother's house when a man jumped from the bushes and started firing in front of the vehicle.
Nkompela was told to lie down which is when a second gunman walked to the front passenger side and tried to open the door that was when his bodyguard fired hitting the suspect in the shoulder.
The gunmen fled the scene on foot and the injured Nyontso was immediately removed from the car, but died at the scene.
The vehicle had 10 bullet holes in it, seven hit the driver's side and three the back on the passenger side.
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances