US places sanctions on North Korea over Sony Pictures hack
The US has imposed new sanctions on North Korea as a response to that country's alleged cyber-attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment. President Barack Obama signed an executive order on Friday allowing sanctions on three North Korean organisations and 10 individuals.
The White House said the move was a response to North Korea's "provocative, destabilising, and repressive actions".
There are already US sanctions on North Korea over its controversial nuclear programme. But Friday's actions are believed to be the first time the US has moved to punish any country for cyber-attacks on a US company.
Among those named in the sanctions were:
- The Reconnaissance General Bureau, North Korea's primary intelligence organisation.
- North Korea's primary arms dealer, the Korea Mining Development Trading Corporation (Komid).
- Korea Tangun Trading Corporation, which supports North Korea's defence research.
- Jang Song Chol: Named by the US Treasury as a Komid representative in Russia and a government official.
- Kim Yong Chol: An official of the North Korean government, according to the US, and a Komid representative in Iran.
- Ryu Jin and Kang Ryong: Komid officials and members of the North Korean government who are operating in Syria, according to the US.
White House officials told reporters the move was in response to the Sony hack, but the targets of the sanctions were not directly involved. Instead, the sanctions are designed to further isolate North Korea's defence industry as deterrent for future cyber-attacks.
The FBI and President Obama have previously said that they believe North Korea was behind the cyber-attack, although some cyber-security experts have cast doubt on this.
However, a senior White House official said it was extremely rare for the US to attribute cyber-attacks, and it was only done so because of the destructive nature of the attack, and because the White House saw it as "crossing a threshold".
Read more on this story: THE INTERVIEW MAKES $15 MILLION IN ONLINE DOWNLOADS
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Goods worth R52 000 recovered after detectives track down housebreaking suspect via stolen phone
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- Alleged Upstand Dogs gang member arrested after appearing at court to support fellow gangsters
- Armed hijackers who shot at police slapped with a combined 120 years behind bars