VIDEO: Pistorius gets 6 years jail term for Reeva's murder - not appealing sentence
Judge Masipa on Wednesday sentenced Oscar Pistorius to six years’ imprisonment for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentines Day 2013.
In handing down sentence, she said that there were “substantial and compelling reasons” to deviate from the 15-year minimum sentence for murder, citing as one factor the continuing misperception that Pistorius had intended to kill his girlfriend.
She listed mitigating factors as:
- Pistorius was vulnerable on his stumps without his protheses.
- He believed the person in the bathroom was an intruder.
- He “immediately took steps to try to save the deceased’s life”.
- The judge believed he was genuinely remorseful.
She said the aggravating factors were:
- Pistorius used a lethal weapon, with high-grade ammunition.
- He fired four times, “knowing full well” there was someone in the bathroom.
- He did not take the precaution of firing a warning shot.
Judge Masipa previously found Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide and sentenced him to five years. That conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court of Appeal in December last year, which commuted his conviction to murder.
He served 10 months of the initial 5-year sentence before being placed under house arrest at his uncle's upmarket home in Pretoria.
It is not clear yet how much of the six-year sentence he will be compelled to serve in prison before he will once again be eligible for parole.
His legal counsel has however indicated that they will not be appealing the sentence.
Pistorius was then taken down to the cells, where it is believed he might start serving his sentence today.
The moment Oscar Pistorius heard his sentence, video courtesy of Global Leaks Youtube Channel;
Still many have taken to social media claiming that he has once again gotten away with murder for the second time.
ANC Women’s League spokesperson, Jacqui Mofokeng, who was at the court, told the media that a six-year jail termis an insult to women. They had expected at least 10 years.
The Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA), which...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday said that it would table a Motion of No Confidence against Walter Sisulu Local...
Almost half of all phishing attacks (fraudulent email messages...
Key executives from Grant Thornton South Africa provide commentary...
The finance minister, Mr Gordhan, delivered a budget speech...
Queens College last Saturday won the Queenstown Under-17 Sevens...
That innovation is important and necessary for survival...
A 45-year-old man from Butterworth is expected in court on...
Following his rampant 50 with the bat off just...
Port Elizabeth-based sustainability specialists...
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- Nelson Mandela Bay Metro clamping down on municipal fleet abuse to cut costs
- Mourners robbed at cemetery - Port Elizabeth police urge public to be vigilant
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop
- DA applauds Metro for allocating land for additional police station in Northern Areas