VIDEO: Pistorius gets 6 years jail term for Reeva's murder - not appealing sentence
Judge Masipa on Wednesday sentenced Oscar Pistorius to six years’ imprisonment for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentines Day 2013.
In handing down sentence, she said that there were “substantial and compelling reasons” to deviate from the 15-year minimum sentence for murder, citing as one factor the continuing misperception that Pistorius had intended to kill his girlfriend.
She listed mitigating factors as:
- Pistorius was vulnerable on his stumps without his protheses.
- He believed the person in the bathroom was an intruder.
- He “immediately took steps to try to save the deceased’s life”.
- The judge believed he was genuinely remorseful.
She said the aggravating factors were:
- Pistorius used a lethal weapon, with high-grade ammunition.
- He fired four times, “knowing full well” there was someone in the bathroom.
- He did not take the precaution of firing a warning shot.
Judge Masipa previously found Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide and sentenced him to five years. That conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court of Appeal in December last year, which commuted his conviction to murder.
He served 10 months of the initial 5-year sentence before being placed under house arrest at his uncle's upmarket home in Pretoria.
It is not clear yet how much of the six-year sentence he will be compelled to serve in prison before he will once again be eligible for parole.
His legal counsel has however indicated that they will not be appealing the sentence.
Pistorius was then taken down to the cells, where it is believed he might start serving his sentence today.
The moment Oscar Pistorius heard his sentence, video courtesy of Global Leaks Youtube Channel;
Still many have taken to social media claiming that he has once again gotten away with murder for the second time.
ANC Women’s League spokesperson, Jacqui Mofokeng, who was at the court, told the media that a six-year jail term is an insult to women. They had expected at least 10 years.
All eyes are on the next move from President Jacob Zuma after he survived a bid from senior ANC colleagues to remove him. The fallout is expected to be focused on the economic cluster of...
A 31-year-old man is expected in court soon after he was...
A surprise donation by Airports Company of South Africa...
The sprint to the end of the year and the extended holidays...
The proposed construction of a Nuclear Power...
The South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth...
Two Nigerian nationals, aged between 37 and 43 years old...
The African Nation Congress (ANC) in the...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has advised local...
- The ‘voetstoots clause’: Under new Consumer Protection Act amendments, home buyers are the least protected
- ANC-led march demands better service delivery from Nelson Mandela Bay’s DA-led coalition
- Council gives nod to water restrictions and punitive tariffs, taps dry out in Western suburbs
- Very hot and uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
- Two Nigerian nationals busted with drugs worth R630 000 in Grahamstown