Update: Organisers of the Occupy Luthuli House movement on Monday denied reports that they had called off their demonstration. The organisers said that they would, however, scale down on numbers due to fears of threats which have been made against them.
At around 09:30am, a handful of supporters were seen mraching towards Luthuli House, where MK veterans have come out in numbers to 'defend' the building.
Security has been beefed up and several roads around the African National Congress' (ANC) national headquarters at Luthuli House in Joburg have closed to traffic in anticipation of a violent confrontation between two ANC factions on Monday.
Feeding off growing calls from within the party structures for President Zuma to step down, the ANC Youth League organisers of a movement called Occupy Luthuli House have called on members of the public to join them in occupying ANC's headquarters and force the ANC's top six to resign.
The movement claims all National Executive Committee (NEC) members have failed to provide leadership “in this current trajectory and continued to serve factions rather than the ANC, rather than holding the president accountable”.
“We call upon stalwarts of the ANC to take us to a special consultative conference - and the immediate implementation of 53rd National Conference resolutions which will revive the ANC.”
However another pro-Zuma faction in the ANCYL has vowed that Occupy Luthuli House will certainly be met by fierce resistance and called the "dissidents" counter-revolutionary - a sentiment shared by the ANC Women's League and the MK military veterans, which also vowed to come out in their numbers and prevent the occupation of the headquarters.
On Saturday, police began deploying water canons and barbed wire for barricades on streets around Luthuli House.
Police spokesperson Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said; “We are ready and we will be working with the Joburg metro police. We will deploy enough members to take care of the protests in any case that might arise,” he said.
Joburg metro police department is also expected to deploy hundreds of its officers.
ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said the party took the protest seriously because it was by ANC members, who had the right to protest and voice their unhappiness.
“This is not just people who are saying they are going to march. They say they want to occupy and that is a serious threat. So we view it as a security threat as well to say you are coming to occupy Luthuli House, because you cannot stop Luthuli House from functioning.”
Last week, things got heated when another faction of the ANC Youth League disrupted a press briefing of the Occupy Luthuli House faction.
***MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW***
Watch below courtesy of Tribe2Tribes YouTube channel: