Violent protests in Nelson Mandela Bay increasing after residents neglected by ANC: Trollip
In a statement posted on a local blog, Democratic Alliance (DA) Eastern Cape leader, Athol Trollip, says that the Nelson Mandela Bay is increasingly seeing violent protests by desperate residents after they have been neglected by the African National Congress (ANC).
"The people of Nelson Mandela Bay have become the victims of an ANC government of broken promises with the incumbent Mayor, Danny Jordaan, having simply picked up where his deposed predecessors broken promises have left off," says Trollip in the statement.
"Protests in the past 24 hours in Missionvale and surrounding areas confirm the desperate need for a new government with a new vision for our Metro. People in Nelson Mandela Bay are angry and frustrated at being left behind, and being neglected."
Trollip is also the DA's Mayoral candidate for the 2016 Local Government Elections.
"Last week, I presented the DA’s plan for our first 100 days in office, in contrast to Danny Jordaan’s failed attempt to turn Nelson Mandela Bay around. The people of Missionvale protesting for better service delivery reveals exactly why this ANC government must go, and a new vision for Nelson Mandela Bay must be delivered.
"Housing protests are now a monthly occurrence here, with residents from Walmer, Missionvale and Motherwell regularly forced to take extreme measures to get attention to their plight. Our people are being left behind, and are being overlooked by this part-time administration," he says.
"With a waiting list of 38 000 housing units and a further 40 000 units identified for rectification, people in Nelson Mandela Bay have every right to be upset with this ANC government. Plans to only build 1293 housing units this financial year are entirely insufficient, inadequate and unfair. The vision for a better Nelson Mandela Bay can clearly not be delivered by the current government."
Trollip says that the Metro needs a new government with a new vision, where housing is delivered in a well-coordinated and ordered manner, unlike the projects seen by the DA last week in Daleview and Missionvale.
According to him, the DA’s turnaround plan to "put a stop to failed RDP projects" is to implement:
- Immediate forensic audits on all supply chain anomalies and immediate prosecution of any official found to be side-stepping due process.
- Contractor and SMME screening to guarantee qualifications, capabilities and competence and prevent unsuitable contractors getting tenders.
- Zero-tolerance to political interference or political interference.
- Immediately ban government officials from doing business with the NMB government.
- Working according to strict standard operating procedures with the Provincial Government, and National Department, to ensure no deviations and no withholding of housing funds.
On the 12th September, the DA will launch its Mayoral campaign for the Nelson Mandela Bay at Donkin Reserve in Central Port Elizabeth.
The South African Weather Services on Tuesday morning said that extreme heat, high levels of discomfort and veld fire...
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Buffalo...
Two municipal ward by-elections will take place in the Eastern...
Police in Kirkwood on Monday appealed to local...
Over the past weekend, police in the King William’s Town...
Several successful operations were conducted over...
Port Elizabeth-born and raised amputee, Shaun Bakker will...
Agri Eastern Cape has called on drought-hit farmers to...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
- Tragedy averted as father and son rescued in Port Elizabeth
- Traffic advisory - Controlled blasting on the N2 between Dutywa and Mthatha
- DA condemns waste of municipal funds by Buffalo City Metro
- Teenagers - Venter and De Jager, win maiden SPAR River Mile titles
- Eastern Cape farmers brace for new national minimum wage