WATCH: Port Elizabeth residents hoot for Zuma to resign in morning protests

APRIL 7, 2017
WATCH: Port Elizabeth residents hoot for Zuma to resign in morning protests

While a much larger protest, organised by Save South Africa, is expected to take place at the Vuyisile Mini Square in front of Port Elizabeth's City Hall, that did not stop small groups from gathering on Friday morning calling for President Jacob Zuma to resign over alleged bad leadership that has seen the country downgraded to junk status by one rating agency. 

Several drivers, bearing no political affiliation, gathered at the Pick n' Pay Hyper Market and made a slow-moving convoy of around 100 cars and bikes that drove down William Moffet - hooting and waving South African flags.

While the cars drove at around 30/40km/hr, the bikers ensured that there were no accidents by blocking off intersections for the convoy to pass.

The convoy made it Cape Road then down Russel Road towards Walmer Boulervard.

There were also groups at several roads and intersections with placards that asked local drivers to hoot for Zuma to go.

Reports also emerged of cars being stonned along Stanford Road in Helenvale, Port Elizabeth.

Save South Africa protest at Vuyisile Mini Square

There will also bea Save South Africa march on Friday afternoon at the Vuyisile Mini Square - in front of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality's offices at the City Hall, at lunch time.

Last week, President Zuma controversially fired former Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan, and his Deputy and former Eastern Cape MEC for Economic Development, Mcebisi Jonas, as well as Tourism Minister, Derek Hanekom, Transport Minister, Dipuo Peters, and Public Service and Administration Minister, Ngoako Ramatlhodi, said he made changes to the National Executive "in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness".

Save South Africa organised a well-attended rally at the same venue on Tuesday afternoon and saw speaker after speaker lambasting Zuma for bad leadership, whose worst point was the recent cabinet reshuffle.

"The event was announced by national convener, Sipho Pityana, at the rally on the 4th, and the more than 6 000 citizens agreed to gather at the City Hall again on Friday, the 7th of April," said Save South Africa Eastern Cape convener and businessman, Mkhuseli Jack, in a post on his Facebook page.

"The organising committee of SSA in the region decided against marching due to short time, logostical and other consideration that are of importance to the citizens.

"It is important that people come out in their big numbers to these rallies. The rally will happen come rain or sunshine. People must attend if they believe that they share the same fears, concerns about the country's direction."

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: 4 people, outdoor