Weather warning: Temps set to rise
The South African Weather Service has issued a number of heat related warnings for the Eastern Cape on Monday.
"The Eastern Cape is at present experiencing hot conditions, with many places fast reaching HAZARDOUS TO HEALTH LEVELS (above 110)," said Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape.
"School sport and hard labour should stop at levels of above 100."
He said that at 10 am on Monday, the following Heat Danger Index was recorded;
- Addo 107
- Joubertina 107
- Uitenhage 106
- Somerset East 105
- KWT Bisho 104
- Willowmore 104
- Graaf Reinet 103
- Patensie 103
- Fort Beaufort 103
- Grahamstown 101
- Port Alfred 100
- Cradock 98
- Plettenberg Bay 98
- Port Elizabeth 93
- Queenstown 93
- Mthatha 93
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
According to Sampson;
01/02/2016: Severe thunderstorms are expected in the northern and central interior spreading to the coast in places.01/02/2016: High veld fire danger expected in the western interior and the Port Elizabeth coastal region.
01/02/2016: A Heat Wave with persistently high temperatures over the interior of the Eastern Cape is expected.01/02/2016: Extremely hot conditions are expected in most parts of the western half and in places over the eastern half.01/02/2016: High levels of discomfort along the coastal belt of the Eastern Cape and adjacent interior
Weather for the Western Half of the Eastern Cape Monday 01 February 2016
Morning fog in placed in the south at first, otherwise sunny and hot to very hot but extremely hot in places becoming partly cloudy later in the afternoon with isolated thunderstorms reaching the coast in the west in the evening. Severe thunderstorms are expected in places.
Coastal Wind: Light to moderate northerly to north easterly but fresh to strong offshore moderating and becoming south westerly from the west in afternoon
Weather for the Eastern Half of the Eastern Cape Monday 01 February 2016
Cloudy in places south of the escarpment at first otherwise sunny and hot to very hot but extremely hot in places over the interior becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon with scattered thunderstorms reaching the coast in places. Severe thunderstorms are expected in places.
Coastal Wind: Fresh to strong north easterly
Port Elizabeth Today:
- Weather: Sunny and windy with morning fog
- Wind: Moderate north easterly becoming fresh to strong easterly but moderate to fresh south westerly overnight
- Temperatures: 19/32
East London Today:
- Weather: Cloudy becoming sunny and windy
- Wind: Strong north easterly moderating overnight
- Temperatures: 23/32
- Port Elizabeth..........19/32
- East London.............23/32
- Port St. Johns..........24/30
- King Williams Town......21/43
- Plettenberg Bay.........20/28
Irrespective of the Warriors being seconded in the first...
One of Port Elizabeth’s most wanted gangsters is expected to appear in court on Monday after he was arrested over the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st and 2nd XI batsman...
Holiday suitcases have been unpacked and South Africans are...
Small business owners that don’t sell their goods or services online can now...
The following case highlights how important quality...
The Schools Recycling Project, run by The Waste Trade...
Two cases of murder and one of attempted murder are being...
An 18-year-old male spear fisherman from Port Elizabeth...
Police in Uitenhage have issued a warning to micro and medium...
- 18-year-old male drowns in PE spear fishing tragedy
- Two killed, one wounded in Bloemendal weekend shooting
- Woman arrested in Grahamstown with dagga worth over R200 000
- Investigations underway after woman kidnapped outside Peddie court and murdered
- Chippa United opens store at The Boardwalk as they look to solidify squad